dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: A note to designers: STOP RESIZING MY BROWSER!

A note to designers: STOP RESIZING MY BROWSER!

I ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY HATE IT when websites resize my browser window.

I run 1280x1024 desktop res, but I keep my browsers sized around 1024x768, because most websites display their best at that resolution.

If they want me to freaking maximize my browser, TELL ME IN THE CRAPPY SPLASH PAGE THEY HAVE THAT LISTS REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SITE, rather than forcing me to size my browser back down after they've manually maximized it for me

Sorry, I don't normally rant on dev forums, but this has to be among the worst design practices out there. Flash developers tend to be guilty of it the most.

I also hate it when they open in a new window, and take away all my toolbar options.. That is easier to deal with, though - I just close the website and never visit it again

So, my fellow devs, heed my words.. If you want me to look at your website, don't freaking do the above 2 things so many websites are guilty of. :P

I don't have that problem. I run Firefox without the flash plug-in.

I just disable Javascript. Badabing! Problem solved. Protection from "professional" web designers guaranteed*.

*More or less anyway.
    I'm thuper, thanks for asking.

It lives! http://www.stephenphilbin.com/ (Well it kinda' does anyway).
    My portable colour selection tool

Javascript does have legit uses, though, so I prefer to not disable it

I agree. It soooooooo bugs me! I want MY browser to be as big as I want it!! After all it is MY friggen computer!

Quote Originally Posted by invertedpanda
    Javascript does have legit uses, though, so I prefer to not disable it
    True, but in my experience, Js is only usually put to a beneficial and sensible use about 1 in 10 times. Most of the time it's just silly, annoying, or downright malicious crap.

I run with Javascript on but in the advanced options I disallow moving or resizing the current window. In fact I only allow the last two options in the advanced Javascript list, status bar text and image rollovers.

Ahah, thanks Ray. Didn't realize FF had a setting for that. I'm happier now

On the few sites I do trust enough to allow Javascript I still disable all but the image rollovers too. I don't even allow the status bar to be changed.

Lol

panda....that sounds like something i would say!!

i prefer plain and simple sites with proper use of coding, special effects and most importantly to my personal preferences....GOOD, if not GREAT graphics work that don't take an hour to load even on high speed connections.

personally, i designed all of my web sites with plain and simple .html, great graphics and nothing super fancy. just my personal opinion.

erg, like FOUR times while reading this thread, my firefox browser was resized. does this still work? maybe i need to reload my browser...
    even so, i only saw the option to not disallow resizing of larger images to fit in the browser window. am i missing something? didnt sound like what i wanted

the reason this annoys me so much is because my browser is downsized barely at all, hardly noticable, until i go to scroll down and go too far to the right and wind up in another open window like my documents or something. ahh!

on a side note, when in text boxes like this comment box for instance, sometimes the cursor will dissappear, and ill have to click back on the box again. very annoying, no idea what to call it, anybody have any clue what is going on?
    Last edited by masterweb2003; 08-21-2005 at 07:47 AM.

The Opera web browser allows you to turn off the ability of windows to be resized without having to disable Javascript.

Really good web developers don't need to resize their user's browser windows to fit their screen but rather program their code flexable for all resolutions. If you encounter a website that resizes your screen, just avoid it.

Thread Information