www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Getting Images and text to load at same time

Getting Images and text to load at same time

I did our company website in good old HTML using Dreamweaver. The bosses would like the images and the text to load at the same time -- instead of the text coming up and then the images taking just a tad longer.

HOW do you do that? Is it Flash? Is it a javascript command? Is it CSS?

I am fairly new at this.

I can make rollovers and DHTML dropdown menues and my own graphics and that's about it. Small tricks like getting everthing to load at the same time or have the page automatically resize to the person's monitor size, I don't know. I learned all by just clicking and hoping for the best with some pointy-haired boss breathing down my neck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Mim
    All great truths begin as blasphemies. ~~ George Bernard Shaw, Annajanska (1919)

Ugh. Don't use Flash and don't use DreamWeaver's design mode.

You could use JavaScript to hide them text and then show it again once the images have loaded.

Okay,...where do I find the javascript for that or a tutorial? What do you use to put webpages together?

thanks
    mim
    All great truths begin as blasphemies. ~~ George Bernard Shaw, Annajanska (1919)

This is the best article that I could find quickly.

Currently I use synText Editor.

DreamWeaver is an excellent tool as long as you don't use the WYSIWYG editor part or the included JavaScript functions, many of which are not coded very well at all.

See that's part of my problem. I can't design in straight code. I am severely dyslexic with ADD. So I need a GUI to see exactly what I'm doing when I'm going it. If I had to rely on my ability to type just code....It would look like I was on crack and freebasing pixie sticks.

Thanks for your help. You don't know of any WYSIWYG editors that ARE good?

Web pages by design load the parts in parallel and display whatever has already loaded. The way to get the page to look like evrything has loaded at once is to make the page small enough that it only takes a couple of seconds to load even on slow connections. A page size of under 10k will probably be good enough to achieve this.
    Stephen

How many images are there?

Can you post a url so your page layout can been seen?
    Last edited by Mr J; 07-10-2005 at 04:31 PM.
    The Silent One

The most dangerous thing in the world is an idea.
    The most dangerous person in the world is one with an idea

Thread Information