dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: CCleaner -- good? Bad?

CCleaner -- good? Bad?

Don't know if this is the proper place, but you're all the smartest bunch I know of, so here it is.

Any of you chaps ever used CCleaner? Is it any good, or is it bad news? Just lookin' to do some cleanup.

Oh, yeah, on a completely unrelated note. Is it hard to reformat a computer?

CCleaner contains Spyware bad nasty that is...
    And formating isn't hard i do it about 1 time a month or week depending
    Just make sure that u have every thing u need

So that'd be a thumbs down for CCleaner, eh? Bummer. Could anyone recommend any similar programs?

Thanks for the input, Mausau.

This is completely false! CCleaner does not contain any at all. Please view the following link to a post about some one asking the same question http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthr...oto=nextoldest . There is completely backed up information that there is none at all. Though do not get Windows Washer heard that has spyware from my hosting provider. Hope this helps! Also Mausau next time back up your information along with sources when making responce to a post such as this.

- Dave

Spybot
    Ad-ware
    Antispyware
    HijackThis

Did you mean reformat or defragment?

I dont see any Spyware or Adware in CCleaner... it also seems to do a fairly good job at cleaning out the trash.

On my first running it found almost 2gig of deleteable items and when I told it to accually clean it removed 1gig of deleteable items.

I would use this over the pricey option of installing WindowWasher on a clients PC.

CCleaner is excellent, and contains no spyware whatsoever.
    I've never used the 'issues' thing tho.

'Ccleaner is Safe'
    I did another test yesterday...
    4 months ago my cousin did a test and Ccleaner even though it had no updater still wanted to connect to it's server and Norton was going havoc complaining of Virus's going though a back door which we assumed was Ccleaner.
    Spybot also said it was spyware but when the new verison came out Spybot stopped
    complaining.
    Though The banner ad at the top links to dodgy pages....
    I just say run Anti-Spyware programs after installing and tread carefully if you use Ccleaner

I just wonder why Cclener is so obsessive about having no spyware it has like 5 times it tells you it is spyware free...
    Gator Bonnzi Buddy etc all r spyware and say that
    But doing more info finding dogpile,friend etc i now know that CCleaner is free of Spyware... at least this version anyway

Well I just ran the issues section and once I reboot later today I'll let you know if I broke my PC or not.

I'm waiting to reboot incase it does break and I have a ton of work to get done.

what version are you running and where did you download it from? I got my copy from MajorGeeks

I'm running V 1.21.130 I have yet to see a banner ad or have any notification from my firewall that it's trying to access the net... I clicked the update link in the app and it opened a browser window.

I got mine from some random site

Google CCleaner and Defraggler, ive used them both for a while now, with no conflicts from MalwareBytes or have had any problems with spyware nor adware

Thread Information