www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How are all those Musician Site Media Players Made?

How are all those Musician Site Media Players Made?

Hi,

I am completely new to this so sorry for being a rookie

Anyway, I know enough about design to build pretty basic web pages & can put together a full site reasonably well. However I have a project in mind that is similar to sites such as:

Purevolume.com
    live365.com
    iSound.com
    SoundClick.com
    DMusic.com

etc, etc.

Want I need & want (sorry to be demanding) is how those media players are build. What technologies will I have to learn to build a player of similar type?

Thanks,

Andrew

They would probably be built with flash with somekind of program that would take the files and create the flash file.

That's all I can tell you, as that is about the extent of my knowledge

i think the easiest way would probably be just to use flash, although you can probably very definitly do them in php and SQL, or some sort of extensive server side language im sure.
    You will eat sauer kraut and like it.

You can definately build these in Flash -- that's what your examples have been built in. If you want a no cost way to do it, simply embed Win Media Player or Quicktime into your HTML and use a bit of Javascript to activate play & stop buttons. Check out Windows Media Player info on the Microsoft site. Its a bit of a pill putting all the pieces of info together -- but when you do it is the cheapest way to build the player.

One thing that Flash does not tell you when you build your project with Flash is that in order to stream the audio or video properly from a server, you need to purchase their Communications Server technology. Last time I checked, it costs $450.00 for the low end version (limited number of streams) and over $4,000.00 for the professional version. Windows Media Server comes with MS products and Quicktime can be had for free from Mac's web site (its called 'Darwin' for PC usage).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by flyingbits
    You can definately build these in Flash -- that's what your examples have been built in. If you want a no cost way to do it, simply embed Win Media Player or Quicktime into your HTML and use a bit of Javascript to activate play & stop buttons. Check out Windows Media Player info on the Microsoft site. Its a bit of a pill putting all the pieces of info together -- but when you do it is the cheapest way to build the player.

One thing that Flash does not tell you when you build your project with Flash is that in order to stream the audio or video properly from a server, you need to purchase their Communications Server technology. Last time I checked, it costs $450.00 for the low end version (limited number of streams) and over $4,000.00 for the professional version. Windows Media Server comes with MS products and Quicktime can be had for free from Mac's web site (its called 'Darwin' for PC usage).

Cheers
    I am not sure where you get your information from but what you have said is completly incorrect!

You can stream any media with no problem using ActionScript you do not need Flash Communication Server. As a matter of fact using that is like using a sword to spread butter on toast. Use the correct tool for the job!

Also you need absolutly no javascript to show the volume, stop, play, etc... controls in Windows Media Player. You control the display of those in the embed tag.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachSide
    I am not sure where you get your information from but what you have said is completly incorrect!

You can stream any media with no problem using ActionScript you do not need Flash Communication Server. As a matter of fact using that is like using a sword to spread butter on toast. Use the correct tool for the job!

Also you need absolutly no javascript to show the volume, stop, play, etc... controls in Windows Media Player. You control the display of those in the embed tag.
    I have a question, how do you stream mp3 to use in flash? If I convert the mp3 to swf format my jukebox will play it, but the sound quality is not as good as the mp3 format. i am unable to get the the jutebox to play the mp3.

Thread Information