www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Problems in Mac IE 5.2

Problems in Mac IE 5.2

Not sure if this is a CSS or HTML problem, but most likely css. The form displays properly in IE and Firefox on the PC but two users on the Macintosh using IE 5.2 are telling my client the form is totally trashed; that no part of it is intact. Only one of the time dropdowns shows and most of the text inputs are missing altogether, and alignments are "completely out of whack." That description is a bit sketchy, but it's all I have.

According to what I read Mac IE 5.2 supports all of the CSS I am using. Does it perhaps not support the doctype or some other factor?

The page is here and the css here, here, and here.

Edit: Macintosh users using Firefox are okay: form displays fine.

Has anyone using a Macintosh viewed the form, (click on the first "here" above)? If so, what did you see?

I need some help here. I have a client bugging me to "fix" this form so that the one Mac user can use it, and I'm not sure what I need to do to accomplish that. Dump the css altogether? Quit the use of tables? Use the tables differently? If so, how?

I just don't know what it is that Mac is rejecting.

I've asked the client to persuade the Mac user to switch to Firefox, which another agent did and solved her problem, but the client doesn't want to do that because she isn't sure the agent will know how to download and install Firefox. So it's up to me to fix the form instead. I am not happy about it, but I need to do something.

does it work in safari? you could persuade that client to switch to that, its already installed by default

i don't have a mac with me today otherwise i'd test it for you. i can tonight when i get home though

I think the switch to Safari involves the same objection as the switch to Firefox, plus there is a javascript spellchecker which appears not to work in Safari. It's my personal opinion that someone who is incapable of downloading and installing Firefox has no business working for a company that requires sufficient computer expertise to be inputting data via Internet, but my client feels otherwise.

I would appreciate it if you would check it on your Mac at home this evening and post what you discover.

Is there no one on this forum with a Macintosh that can look at the page and tell me what they see? Maybe tell me what browser and version they use?

I'll have a look at it tomorrow. I have a mac at work.
    Maybe I can help you, since I had this kinds of issues with mac IE already.
    I'll need to see the form, so I'll get back to you tomorrow.
    I hope I'll be able to help you. IE for mac is all buggy, and some of the css features aren't supported well at all. You have to do lots of workarounds to make it look the same as on other browsers.

edit : I'll also provide a screecap, and test it with Safari. I'll be back in a few hours.

Ok, I'm back.
    I've got an awfull lot of work in the lab today, so I won't be able to help you too much.
    Anyway :
    The page mostly looks good in IE mac, only the date and time buttons are messed up, and the footer is a bit strange too.
    In Safari, the page is normal, except that you have strange question marks in the footer.
    You can find a very good page to deal with IE mac CSS related issues :
    Here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the snapshots, that at least gave me something to go on. The question marks at the bottom have to do with the issue that I did not upload the images that make the buttons. Not a big desl, I can fix that in a heartbeat.

The input textarea that is out of position and covering up the time inputs was in the same <div> with the text above it (and with the time inputs), so I put it into a <div> by itself which is (hopefully) centered below all of that. I made a few other changes wich might fix things, so when you (or someone else) gets a chance to look at again and let me know what you see.

No big rush, I have some garbage code up that is working for these people and have sort of put programming for them on hold. I have been programming for them for about four years, but I may fire them at this point, so I'm not sure I even need this. But even if so, I'd like to see if what I did worked. Thanks.

I made a few other changes wich might fix things...
    Can somebody with a Macintosh and IE 5.2 take a look and tell me if the changes helped vs. the snapshops shown in Ness_du_Frat's post? Especially the "iemactop" one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk
    Can somebody with a Macintosh and IE 5.2 take a look and tell me if the changes helped vs. the snapshops shown in Ness_du_Frat's post? Especially the "iemactop" one?
    It seems your top layout is quite different in Safari vs IE on my iMac.
    the spellchecker does not work on either. Though the date and time things seem to work, or you can change them. Are they supposed to be automatic or what?
    Here's two screenshots from the Mac IE 5.2:

good luck,
    René
    Attached Images Attached Images
    René O'Deay, author, photojournalist, Mac Addict

iMac G3 Mac OS X 10.3.6

www.reneodeay.com

Thanks, the spellchecker and date selections don't function because I didn't include the javascript or the form action scripting. I'm just working out screen layout in this post.

I'm seeing three <div>'s that are "float:left" that should be displaying inline that are stacking vertically. Hmmmm. Why are they doing that, I wonder. Maybe I'll try an explicit "display:inline" on them, although the float should.... Ahhhhh, it's late I'll work on it tomorrow.

Thanks for the screenshot. At least I know th "nature of the beast."

Thread Information