www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: cross browser test please?

Smile cross browser test please?

I was hoping that I could get some of you all to see if there are any problems with my new site (compatability-wise) I have IE 6.0 opera 6.05 and netscape 6.2. I would like to know if NS7,5,4...IE 5.5,5.0,4.x, Opera 5.xx users out there would tell me if:

1) do you see explanations after the prices in the pop-up window , is the iframe window in the pop-up working?http://www.holoholocharters.com/holo...urs/index.html

2) do you see at least two lines of text in the main area (middle right) from http://www.holoholocharters.com/holo...ite/index.html

I know there's got to be some of you with "old" browsers. I'd like to address as many language issues BEFORE I post this site over the existing one. A friend wrote me a cool PHP script to randomize my images and is very small (that is next on the list ;-)

Thank you all in advance. I would really hate to go finding old browsers to download.

Aloha Chris

I'm using Opera 6.05 and your 'pop up' links aren't working at all and I see no text on the right side of what I take to be the main area. It looks like you've got problems with more than just old browsers.

Re: cross browser test please?

Originally posted by ahinalu
    [B]I would like to know if NS7,5,4...IE 5.5,5.0,4.x, Opera 5.xx users out there would tell me if:
    Um, you are aware that you can install multiple versions of all browsers (except IE) on your computer?

Asking for sitechecks in browsers you could simply download and install yourself if you wanted to gives the impression that you are a bit lazy

Question opera archive

OK, anyone know how to get a hold of an older opera version. I can't seem to find thier 'archive' page.

"I'm using Opera 6.05 and your 'pop up' links aren't working at all and I see no text on the right side of what I take to be the main area" ---Charles, have you configured your opera not to allow popups? I find it strange that a year old browser can't pick up what NS4.5 had no problem with (yeah the site 'looks' ugly, but everything worked except the iframe)

I do agree about the popups (I like them if they're part of a site not the popup game from hell). So, since I am going to make a 'degraded site' (see below), I figured i'll just use the IFRAME and have the link buttons point to the frame and just change that. That should solve the issue as I have to make an html page for each frame replacement. Anyone see issues with that train of thought?

So basicaly, it looks like the I'll need a script to send the: 6.05 opera users, and the NN4.7 &less users to a very basic version of the new site. I've got to agree with Zach that IE IS and has been the best for a couple of years now. (not trying to stir the pot or anything

Anyone got any browser/ browser version specific redirect scripts? I'm sure there has to have been a thread about this somewhere, know where it's at?

Many mahalos
    Chris

ps anyone know why NS4.5 wouldn't show my background image?
    Last edited by ahinalu; 12-09-2002 at 02:43 PM.

Re: opera archive

Originally posted by ahinalu
    OK, anyone know how to get a hold of an older opera version. I can't seem to find thier 'archive' page.
    Indeed. It seems as if they cleaned their webpage from any 5.x/win residue when they released beta 7.

I guess they (as I) don't think it's a really good browser and users should be on 6.x for quite a while already (I would assume Opera users would be much faster to upgrade to latest browser then IE users, since they have to download it initially too).

In any case, if you really think you need it I have an old 5.12 installer I could mail to you if you like.
    For the recored I don't have it installed myself anymore, 6.05 and beta7 is enough for me

Anyone got any browser/ browser version specific redirect scripts? I'm sure there has to have been a thread about this somewhere, know where it's at?
    Only problem with clientside scripts is that they fail when you need them the most... (ie when JS is not available in the browser).
    Better to make one page only, that "degrades gracefully". Lot less maintanance too

ps anyone know why NS4.5 wouldn't show my background image?
    Probably becuse it's buggy
    (I know that is not the answer you are looking for, but I'm highly reluctant to sorting out other peoples <table> mess in buggy browsers)

However, in latest Gecko your backgrounds also look pretty bad, since the 3 layers are not correctly aligned, and that is most likely a coding error on your part.

BTW, on this link should be able to find Opera 5

http://browsers.evolt.org/

Smile thanks

Thanks for the response. Since i'm not using 'layers' (didn't think 'I' could get ANY browsers to work, maybe a few more years..hah). Since they are in a straight htnl table, I think I have "margin" issues I need to address. Oh to please EVERYONE....

Anyone know if there are any server-side script/ programs available to check version/redirect (maybe i'll go to the perl section)

Thanks again for the response

Aloha Chris

Browser watch used to keep a list of over 130 graphical browsers that are out there. And that number didn't count the different versions of those browsers or non-graphical browsers. That's going to be some rediredt. And it still won't work on my browser because I do not use JavaScript. Try

<A HREF="http://www.holoholocharters.com/holonewsite/newsite/tours/index.html'; window.open(this.href,'our','height=510,width=550')" ONMOUSEOVER="window.status='Niihau, the best snorkeling in Hawaii'; return true">NIIHAU/ NA PALI SUPER TOUR</A>

for your links and find a server side method for your include.

Thread Information