www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Bobby hates me :-(

Bobby hates me :-(

I am having trouble getting my latest website to have the look and feel desired along with passing all the accessibility tests. Since I am rather new to accessibility and CSS I was hoping you would have some pointers for my problems.

Bobby hates me. My website http://www.nccasa.org/testing/index.htm fails all three accessibility levels, because:

Level 1: If ASCII art is present, consider substituting it with an accessible image – This resulted, because I had to add <pre></pre> at the very end of my pages, due to the fact that IE was cutting off the bottom portion of each page and not displaying information. I realize this is a lame fix to begin with, but I couldn’t figure out how else to go about it.

Level 2: Explicitly associate form controls and their labels with the label element – This makes no sense to me, because my submit button says “Search”. Also, Bobby complained earlier that I did not initialize the value of the text box, so I added “Enter Your Search” (This sets me off on another tangent, because I have bad wrists and to have to keep deleting “Enter your search” each time I want to perform a search is a pain). To add a label on top of all this would be repeating myself two times too many in my book. Why is triplicate necessary?

Level 3: Separate adjacent links with more than white space. - This is complaining about there being nothing between 3 image links at the top of my page. The first is the logo, with a link to the home page, the second is an escape image for people who may live with their perpetrator and want to change to a different website quickly, and the third is the member login link, which is not an image. I had to position the images with absolute positioning to get them to display correctly in the page. Any ideas on how to make Bobby happy and keep the look?

I realize several of these problems may be my lack of knowledge in CSS, so if you are bored out of your mind and feel like ripping apart my code; have at it. I ask that you explain why items are wrong or in bad form. The code can be found at http://www.nccasa.org/testing/main.css

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Does your submit button have a label tag around the text to associate it with the button?

<input type="button" name="search" ...> <label for="search">Search</label>
    Last edited by felgall; 07-27-2005 at 05:04 PM.
    Stephen

Thanks. I overlooked that. LOL
    Become the change you want to see.
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

I hate Bobby

It sounds like Bobby is mis-leading you, at least a little.
    According to your discription, the first point does not apply - this is something that you have to determine for yourself. Like many of the possible issues, only a human can determine if you pass or fail.

Another point is that it is now generally accepted that you should NOT pre-fill a text input box - Bobby has not caught up.

Thread Information