www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Please update credit URL :)

Please update credit URL :)

Hello,

I'm a contributor to The JavaScript Source, having had a couple of my scripts listed there for years:

"Cascading Menu" at http://javascript.internet.com/navig...ding-menu.html

"DHTML Scroller" at http://javascript.internet.com/page-...-scroller.html

I've since moved websites from gusnz.cjb.net to http://www.twinhelix.com

So, could I ask two favours from one of the administrators here?

1) Please update the crediting links in the scripts and archive pages to point to my new URL? The old one redirects there for now.

2) Please append "version 2.0" to each of the script names -- there are some different versions of the scripts on my site itself, and some visitors are getting a little confused as to which one they have .

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
    Angus Turnbull
    TwinHelix Designs

Angus,

I am the Managing Editor for JSS. Why don't you just submit the new versions at: http://javascript.internet.com/contribute/ ?

If these (the ones currently on the site) are the older versions, then changing the version number will just be confusing as these are the ones displayed on our site.

When you submit the new ones, just make a note that they are replacing ones currently on the site.

Thanks!
    Lee
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks for your response!

The current versions at my site are v5.2 (for the menus) and v4.0 (for the scroller). Those are available under a different license agreement than the older v2.0 scripts, and as far as I know, you don't permit custom licenses with Creative-Commons-like mandatory crediting rules for usage of scripts on JSS (which is fair enough from your perspective).

So the "v2.0" labelling of the scripts at JSS is meant to clear up the difference, as those are the versions you have already under a freely-redistributable license. If you keep the existing modification dates, people won't be too confused .

Anyway, if you don't want to append the version numbers, that's fine; my main request is just the Author URL update.

Cheers - Angus.

Angus,

Yes, you are right. JavaScript Source is based on freely available scripts without limitations.

I don't mind doing the changes you asked for, however, the wording on your site: "IMPORTANT: This release is newer than the version from script archives like 'The JavaScript Source'..." makes it sound like we're posting old scripts. If these are not valid scripts (or outdated) I can remove them. Otherwise, perhaps just making note of the new version number on your site should be enough. (I would, of course change the version number and URL on our site.)
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Right, sounds like a plan!

If the versioning is clear on your end there's no real need for me to clarify it on my end . So yes, please update the script descriptions/versions.

Thanks - Angus.

O.k., Angus. They have all been updated with the new version number and URL.
    Lee

Cheers! I've updated the menu page page on my site too, there's no need for the extra note now.

- Angus.

Thread Information