dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Style Dif or evolution

Question Style Dif or evolution

I am into a style of design that seems to be "outdated" or I am just on a differant level than most other sites? I want to be ontop of my game and have been creating pages for over 10 years but I am starting to think that I may just be outdated. Please give me your honest oppinion, here are some of my inprogress and latest works.

www.wehavetalent.com/Modeling
    www.wasteknotpictures.com/brian
    www.golfandtravel.com
    www.foundpup.com
    www.shortsign.com

Thanks for your time
    Matt

Your sites are taking forever to load...
    For what I saw ( not much ), it seems to be more original that what we see nowadays around here...

Oh, and BTW, it's good to be precise with the loading percentage, but to THAT extend ??? (see attached file... )
    It's still not even 2% after 5 minutes... something weird around here...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking No title

Quote Originally Posted by Ness_du_Frat
    Your sites are taking forever to load...
    For what I saw ( not much ), it seems to be more original that what we see nowadays around here...

Oh, and BTW, it's good to be precise with the loading percentage, but to THAT extend ??? (see attached file... )
    It's still not even 2% after 5 minutes... something weird around here...

That is funny because I am not sure why it is so damn precise, the file is about 2 megs i believe. It is not a problem with high speed internet like my client uses but I showed him a lower quality file and he really did not like it so i left it, collected my cash and was on my way.

Matt

Hi -
    Your designs are pretty good, and I really loved the image and color scheme on your home site. [Might want to get a DOCTYPE on it, tho.] I think what you've noticed is dated is your style of coding:
    -table-based layouts
    -heavy javascript
    -image maps for links
    -chunky headers

For us dinosaur dial-up users, these sliced layouts take too much patience...
    have you ever done layouts that separate style from content using css? I think that's where you need to go if you want to stay more 'current'.
    A lot of designers nowadays seem to be going minimal - instead of tightly controlling the look via pics for fonts and tables for organization - they utilize what can be done more cleanly with fonts, css, etc.

Ness was right about that flash - your preloader math could use a /100 to prevent having a 20-decimal point percentage - and 2MB is HUGE. Have you tried loading external .swf's with your video, big images, etc. to cut down the initial wait time?

Good luck,
    El

Cool

Thank you LJK and I do agree with the idea of being more simplistic if you want to see two of my all time favorite pages go to:

www.ecotex.com
    http://www.kitakon.com/

Thanks for your time.
    Matt

I love your flash sites! I dont think there is anything outdated about them and if i was the customer i would be happy with most of the designs and over the moon wiht others.

Thread Information