www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Live Information on a web page?

Live Information on a web page?

Sorry I've no idea what forum to put this in...

Our client has asked us to include live information on their website ie

Share prices
    Gold prices
    Exchange rates
    News Headlines

I've absolutely no idea what's involved or whether it can be done. Does anyone know anything about this?

look at google for online stock tickers.

Right cheers will do

What about news? I keep finding things about 'RSS feeds' but I've no idea what that is or how it works...

Quote Originally Posted by cusimar9
    Right cheers will do

What about news? I keep finding things about 'RSS feeds' but I've no idea what that is or how it works...
    Basically RSS is differnet flavor of XML. If you create a RSS feed, a person can then subscribe to it. When you add new info, the info should also be added to the feed. If it is, the subscriber then gets a copy of that info in their feed reader. This way the user doesn't waste their time looking for new info when it isn't there. Beyond using Firefox, using a feed reader is the other biggest thing to change how I use the web.

Using Bloglines is a good toturial to see what it is like to use a feed reader. Bloglines is probably the biggest name in feed readers right now, but I'm also looking into a new one that's in beta which should be pretty sweet. And yeah, if you have content that gets updated like a news section, it's pretty much becoming the industry standard to use a feed along with it.

Also note there are two main feed types, RSS and Atom. It would be good to create a feed in one format, and then make one in the other.

Thread Information