dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Reference materials

Question Reference materials

I have just started my new job as "content manager" aka web designer and assistent graphic designer and I have been thinking about getting some books/magazines for reference materials. I am using Dreamweaver with mostly handcoded XHTML and CSS 2.0 for the web, Adobe CS 2 for print, and we should be getting a new Kodak Digital SLR camera for our pictures.

What do you have on your bookshelf and/or what books/magazines have you found usefull for reference? (non-beginner type books).

Well I only have two books on web dev. I have

ISBN: 0-596-00048-0 Which is an absolute godsend when you have to deal with one of the evil twins of Web developement (those being Javascript and regexp).It's extremely helpful and covers pretty much everything Javascript.

The other is

ISBN: 0-7357-1132-1 and is utter crap.

If you're only concerned with open standards stuff like HTML and CSS then your best source is not a book, but the W3C. There's no place more informative or authorative of HTML and CSS than http://www.w3.org

As for photoshop, isn't there a manual or something?
    I'm thuper, thanks for asking.

It lives! http://www.stephenphilbin.com/ (Well it kinda' does anyway).
    My portable colour selection tool

for reference i use o'reilly books.

http://www.oreilly.com/ and search for "pocket reference".

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Herer
    Well I only have two books on web dev. I have

ISBN: 0-596-00048-0 Which is an absolute godsend when you have to deal with one of the evil twins of Web developement (those being Javascript and regexp).It's extremely helpful and covers pretty much everything Javascript.

The other is

ISBN: 0-7357-1132-1 and is utter crap.

If you're only concerned with open standards stuff like HTML and CSS then your best source is not a book, but the W3C. There's no place more informative or authorative of HTML and CSS than http://www.w3.org

As for photoshop, isn't there a manual or something?

It would be a lot easier for people if you included the actual book titles. ISBN numbers are nice. Actual book titles are better.

There's a reference tab with content from O'reilly in dreamweaver.

For SQL, I use SQL in a nutshell 2nd Ed. (O'Reilly), and the MySQL Pocket Reference (O'Reilly). For CSS I have a book called (I think) Practical CSS for the World Wide Web (it has a picture of a waterfall on the cover, IIRC). I don't use it much, though; I find it easier to just do a quick google search, and click on the W3C Schools results

I don't have any HTML/XHTML references (I don't really do XHTML yet, haven't had a need for it, and I've been doing HTML for about 8 years now). I learned PHP/MySQL from Larry Ullman's "PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Websites" (it is a Visual Quickpro Guide), but I don't have any PHP references (I really need to pick up one).

I also find it useful to flip through cookbook style books when I'm interested in certain things covered by them.

Another good reference is going to be sample code. Here is a easy little trick to get some.. Find a book on Amazon that has good reviews, especially regarding the sample code, and then look for the book website (or the website of the author). Usually you can download the sample code that is in the book for free.

Thread Information