www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Tell Me what you think

Please Tell Me what you think

I have been asked to create a website for a biotechnology company. I have written websites for a university for a year. Can you please give me constructive criticism about the graphics etc thanks Jonny www.problematicpc.co.uk

Well it's pretty spare and there's lots of whitespace. Don't they have some kind of graphics to fill in the empty space next to each block of txt?

lots of wite space and u sould stick by the 8sec rule 4 ur website
    apart from that it's Ok
    Download Spybot from www.safer-networking.org to get the ultimate in free spyware removal.

FLAMING IS NOT TOLERATED IN THIS FORUM
    Dont Worry Most people have posted in this site and gone on to lead perfectly normal lifes

I've been really given nothing to work with on this website. I'm trying to make the top banner at the mo 3D instead of the 2D. I want to give the website a profesional feel to it. The annoying thing is I'm not getting much feed back from friends or family. It's difficult concidering I have very little to work with.

Just a detail, but there is no hover on the contact button.

Thanks I never noticed that.

Seems to load extremely slowly. I am on 512k and it took about 5 minuts to show anything at all. Seems like a combination of a server issue and all of those embedded tables. Any ordinary user would have left way before that.

I would recommend you try to break up your layout a bit. At the moment, it is boxed up. I think it would look more professional if it was wider and less constrictive.

One more thing; you have used the "Valid HTML" image from the W3C Website, yet some of your pages do not validate.

Good job so far.

Regards.
    Last edited by buntine; 08-10-2005 at 05:17 AM.

I think that may be something to do with the server, this is just a testing server really the domain is going to be changed for the company. Cheers about the Valid HTML there is still bits and pieces to clear up. I've blurred the buttons a little, i might have a go at trying to make it a little wider. I'm not really happy with it as it is as i think it looks quite amateurish. Is there anything i could do to the graphics? I was going to try and make the border on the top banner into a 3D pipe as that relates to the company. Thanks for all the help so far keep it coming.

Truthfully, I do not think a 3D pipe will help to make it professional-looking.

In my opinion, the key to excellent Web Design is in a design grid. All your sites, provided the intention is professional elegance, should be able to line up in a grid.

You may also want to look into a Sans-Serif font (such as Arial). They tend to look better on the Web.

Regards.

I appreciate the input. The 3D pipe was going to be created out of the bar that is there just now. I can see what you mean thou. This is the first commercial website. I'm just finding it annoying with the lack of content and not sure where to go from here. How much should I be charging for my first website? I was thinking 750. I've written University sites as part of a placement for a year but we were so retricted to what we could actually do.

Hi, Jonnystewart -

You may want to look at your site with my screen settings (see signature below). Really weird stuff happening.

The top graphic is at the bottom, the page is really narrow.

Possible fixes:

You might investigate using a liquid layout of percentages, rather than fixed. This will accommodate various screen sizes.

This line:
    <div id="Topbanner" style="position:absolute; left:110px; top:-2px; width:560px; height:123px; z-index:1">
    may be causing IE to screw up your layout. Probably the negative number.

Good Luck!
    KDLA
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Hi KDLA,
    I have checked this in all setting and through-out the browsers. I'm not having a problem at all with it, the -2 just means that it's shown off the screen. The page was deisgned at 600 to 800 for accessiblity. On other Forums people are saying now that I should start again. I think there is still a bit to do and once all fine tuned and if i get pictures and content and add some features and mayb a picture in the top left. what u think?

Take a look at these screenshots (attached). Number 21 shows the top portion of the banner at the bottom of the page.

It might be a good time to redo the page, since there's not much you'd have to work with. The longer you wait and the more content you receive, a bigger pain in the rear it will be.

Investigate CSS positioning. Even though it's tough to learn, it makes design and accessibility MUCH, MUCH easier!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Hi,
    sorry thats is meant to be there the pages are rought and i was looking for a way to go from here. It's in the code it's a finishing point for the content. Cheers for the Input.

I agree with buntine on the sans-serif font. It would at once look more professional.
    Don't go for 3D things on the banner, it will just make it a bit "I just bought frontpage and look at my website, those pipes just RULE !!!".
    Being a scientist myself ( biologist ), I would suggest to keep the design simple, sharp-angled, maybe even a bit hard. ( that's my opinion for looking at scientific websites all the time, and also at the ads in the scientific magazines ).
    I hate blue in website, but I think it's a good idea for a chemestry-oriented website.
    Though, you shouldn't put as much blue...
    Go for a smaller header. Give highest priority for to the contents.
    And make it wider. Or center it in the page.
    Also, the page is really long. It doesn't fit in my 1280x1024 screen resa.

One last thing, and it's directed to everybody :
    What is really the point of putting this w3c buttons in the layout ??? I mean, people who come and look at your sites are not webdevelopers, they are scientists ( or whatever.. I said this applied to everybody ). They couldn't care less about seeing the site is w3c validated, most of them don't even know what that is, and if they click on the buttons, they won't understand a thing.
    Ok, I see, you want everybody to know that your code validates. But I mean, isn't it normal that it validates ? It's your job, after all !!! It's like, a taxi driver who would brag about having his driving licence...
    If you really need to put the buttons, you can put it somewhere else, and not use that much space for things people don't care about.
    Sites offering web services can keep the buttons, but obviously, people who contact them to make web designs don't know how to do them by themselves, and don't care about a w3c validation, because for them, it's normal.

Ok, I'll stop harassing everybody with that. I just wanted to point it out once in my life.

Thread Information