www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: LiveJournal.com and frames?

LiveJournal.com and frames?

I hope this is in the right section. This does have to do with making my journals more accessible, to me and my friends...

I want to put two journals of mine on one "community" journal page using frames. Can I do that? I've created a separate page, and all I want to do is to put two other pages in two separate frames, on opposite sides of that page.

There's no ".htm/l" at the end of each journal page, is that to guard against frames or something? I've seen people use frames in their journals before. How is it done? Does it have something to do with paid accounts? There's nothing in the LJ FAQ about it that I could find.

Thanks!

There actually is something in LJ's FAQs about frames. http://www.livejournal.com/community/howto/32234.html

If you have a paid account, you can create a style for your community and put the HTML for the frames there yourself.

It sounds like you don't, though, so the best bet would to make an offsite website with the frames, and have a link in your community to it, or something like that.

Does that help at all?
    Last edited by thedigitalnomad; 08-16-2005 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitalnomad
    There actually is something in LJ's FAQs about frames. http://www.livejournal.com/community/howto/32234.html

If you have a paid account, you can create a style for your community and put the HTML for the frames there yourself.

It sounds like you don't, though, so the best bet would to make an offsite website with the frames, and have a link in your community to it, or something like that.

Does that help at all?
    Thanks for replying!

I read in the FAQ earlier today that a paid account allows for the privilege of embedding a livejournal page into another website's frame/s, and that plus the absence of a ".htm/l" at the end of my journals' URL would lead me to believe that I would actually have to buy (or rent, whatever) all three journals in order to do this. Jesus.

Ah well. I might just do that.

If i help you will you insert my liked banner into your site?

Quote Originally Posted by Legfoot
    Thanks for replying!

I read in the FAQ earlier today that a paid account allows for the privilege of embedding a livejournal page into another website's frame/s, and that plus the absence of a ".htm/l" at the end of my journals' URL would lead me to believe that I would actually have to buy (or rent, whatever) all three journals in order to do this. Jesus.

Ah well. I might just do that.
    If you look at all of the methods that they list on the embedding methods, the only two that require a paid account is Javascript and Macromedia Flash. The rest do not require a paid account.

I can prove the Frames method works here:
    Ta da!

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitalnomad
    If you look at all of the methods that they list on the embedding methods, the only two that require a paid account is Javascript and Macromedia Flash. The rest do not require a paid account.

I can prove the Frames method works here:
    Ta da!
    Ooh! Thank you!!

Does it work on an actual livejournal page, by typing into the box used for journal overrides? Could I place two frames on either side of one empty journal?

Quote Originally Posted by Legfoot
    Ooh! Thank you!!

Does it work on an actual livejournal page, by typing into the box used for journal overrides? Could I place two frames on either side of one empty journal?
    I'm quite positive that the "Overrides" box isn't where you'd put this in. If you read the description above the override box, the only things you can use in this box are "<.title>, <.base>, <.style>, <.link>, and <.meta>". To do what you want to do with the community, you would have to be able to create a Style, and you can't do that without a paid account.

The best thing you could do is create a page with the frames offsite, and link to it. (That is, unless you want to pay for an account so you can create a style).

Okay. Thanks, man.

Thread Information