dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to disable a "File save" download

Hybrid View

How to disable a "File save" download

Does anyone know how to allow a user to watch a video on a website, but not have the ability to save the video? We have a site that needs users to view proprietary information, but not have the ability to save the .mpg file on a computer. Is there something on the server end to secure a .mpg file from being saved? -Shannon

Well,

Without the know-how how to do this in html // java // php... I was thinking of using a flash based solution.

Create a flash file, give an actionscriptcode to load a movie (your .mpg) and create a few buttons (play, stop, pause).
    They can't see the name of the mpg which is loaded (...well nothing is safe if they really want to ofcourse) and in the source code of your html the only see a .swf coding.

Just a thought.

3Pinter

Quote Originally Posted by 3Pinter
    Well,

Without the know-how how to do this in html // java // php... I was thinking of using a flash based solution.

Create a flash file, give an actionscriptcode to load a movie (your .mpg) and create a few buttons (play, stop, pause).
    They can't see the name of the mpg which is loaded (...well nothing is safe if they really want to ofcourse) and in the source code of your html the only see a .swf coding.

Just a thought.

3Pinter
    Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try! -swep

All files on a web page are downloaded to the client computer before the page is displayed. The only video files that are not downloaded are those using a streaming format.

yes, I've been thinking about too.. I am having a hard time clicking into links without knowing that I am downloading the stuff..

Nice ideas guys.. Thanks

Thread Information