www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Flash Cache?

Flash Cache?

Does anyone know how Flash animations are cached on a user's computer? I've found that sometimes when I upload a new version of a flash file to a web site, it will refuse to update, even if I completely empty the browser cache and refresh the page. Sometimes even opening a different browser doesn't help. The problem only occurs if I've already viewed the animation recently, and it doesn't always occur.

A bunch of other people at my work have had the same problem, and it leads me to wonder if Flash caches some files outside of the browser cache. Does anybody know anything about this?

CouchMonkey.

In my case i have resolved that problem embedding the .swf (flash movie) in a .php document instead of a .html.

There is a sneaky workaround you can use to prevent flash files from being cached. In your HTML source where your flash file is embedded, you will see a couple lines similar to:
    Code:
    <param name="movie" value="main.swf" />
    <embed src="main.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="890" height="800" name="main" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
    Now, what you can do is send flash a random querystring value when it's embedded. This can be done either through server-side or client-side, but it should definitely be a random value. So for example, a view source might output something similar to the two lines above, only appended with a querystring value
    Code:
    <param name="movie" value="main.swf?dummyVar=173368" />
    <embed src="main.swf?dummyVar=173368" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="890" height="800" name="main" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
    ...where 173368 is the random number you generated.

Thanks for the tips, the PHP solution isn't available to me here at work (we're using JSP) but I'll be sure to try out the other one!

Quote Originally Posted by schizo
    ...where 173368 is the random number you generated.
    hello,i have similar problem with this. i need to load fresh swf file every time i'm type the url,but if the page i already have opened before the browser seem to look it from the Temp directory,not the new one. can you explain what the function of dummyVar?and how to generate it?i'm using aspx to embed my flash.thanks

Thread Information