www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: My first website

Question My first website

Hello,
    This is my first website to not only create but maintain on a constant basis due to the everchanging subject matter. Thanks to the help of others in these forums Ive at least got something on the screen! lol.
    Please take a look and offer any input. I only hope it gets easier!
    Thanks for your time.
    Heesha
    http://www.stephensspecialtyauctions.com

You should have a Navigation bar, and you should costomize the site a little more instead of having it all centered on the page. You could do this by learning some CSS. Add a logo to the top, keep working, and learning.

The site can only go up hill from here.

i have seen ur website....hmmmmm nice if it is ur first webpage.........i appreciate that...

It looks like you are using some sort of template to create your site. The template is of very poor quality. Here are some samples of what I mean.

<font color="990000"><div style="text-align: center;"><big><big><big><big><b><i>Stephens Specialty Auctions</i><b></big></big></big></big>

There is no <big> tag. The <font> tag is so 1990. In the case I believe you want a <h1> and minor amount of CSS to style it.

HTML:
    <h1>Stephens Specialty Auctions</h1>

CSS:
    h1 { color:#900; font-style:italic; }

<a href="aboutus.html">About Us<width: 125px; height: 50px;></a> &nbsp

There is no <width> tag.

For a list of actual tags, http://www.w3schools.com/tags/default.asp While you're at it, read the forum sticky.

The site itself is very plain and needs some kind of organization to it.

Hi -

font-family: Benguiat Bk BT

isn't a cross-browser/platform font. You should consider using fonts that are not "specialty" fonts and available on most computers, such as Verdana, Arial, or Georgia.

Agreeing with spufi about the rest. The addition of images wouldn't be bad, either.

Good Luck -
    KDLA

or, put font-family: Benguiat Bk Bt, Verdana, sans-serif or whateverfonts you want, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just put the font-family into the body, rather than into every span?

The issue isn't how its coded, but the selection of using the font family itself. It is not a standard font.

If a visitor's PC lacks these fonts in its system files, they will be substituted by the browser for either Courier, Times New Roman, or some other cross-platform font. For this design, since it has no "real" design, that's not a big deal. However, if your design is meticulously positioned, the substitution of other fonts for those you intended can mess up the line-height as well as line spacing - not to mention the overall look of your page.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyChance
    or, put font-family: Benguiat Bk Bt, Verdana, sans-serif or whateverfonts you want, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just put the font-family into the body, rather than into every span?
    And even defining fonts in the <body> tag only gets you so far. Ideally, fonts would all be defined in a external style sheet. This would mean one line in every web page you need those styles for and it's way more practicle doing it that way.

Hi -
    The header [top identifying text/logo] is pretty big but nothing compared to the whopping font sizes used on the titles in the subpages - gike! If your goal is to 'just get something up', then you've done great. When you want to create a look / feel for the company, you'll need to get to know (x)html and css a lot better. [And will make updates a heck of a lot easier ;-) ]

Good luck & have fun,
    El

the site looks fine, but to anyone who does webdev, it is clearly barebones html. I would suggest a book on javascript (Visual Quick Start series are cheap and effective) and a CSS book. If you want to make a site that turns heads, you need to troll the web and find other people's good ideas and make them better. Or take the standard layout and make it your own. I urge you to learn more and dick with it, coding is fun.
    Go Bucky!!!

Thread Information