www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Authority of the Web?

Question Authority of the Web?

So I have this domain name coming up for renewal. It is currently hosted with a company I am really upset with. I want to renew it but I don't want to have them do it.

So what are my options? Can I register a domain name with IANA or ICANN or whatever the agency is?

Do we have to go through a registrar? What is a registrar anyway? Are they the only ones who can register names?

If you know of some literature you can point me too, that would be great.

I am just confused about how all the domain name registry stuff and DNS servers and then there's hosting services and "all-in-one" sites that do it all.

Where is the authority for registering, hosting, DNS, and any other related subject I should know about.

Thx alot...just when I thought I was getting XHTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL somewhat identified, I run into this networking side of the Web and my brain is toast.

Answers to all your questions can be found at: PHP Manual

I can understand your frustration. You can find out a bit of what you want to know in an article I wrote over on WebReference.com. You can find it here

IANA or ICANN don't register names. They administer the domain name system. Yes, you have to use a registrar. Make sure it's registered. Check the article above for more details.
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

thx Lee

Answers to all your questions can be found at: PHP Manual

Thread Information