www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: File Download link

File Download link

What i need, is when the user clicks on a link to download a file it opens the standard file save as / open dialog box. The user can then choose a location to save the file and carry on.

Thanks

what sort of file. if you just link to the file then it should automatically prompt this, but if its a webfile like an image or something like that then you can zip it and then just link to the zip, or even add a little note "to download right click and save as"

The file is an .mpg. At the moment if i select the link no file dialog box appears. I wondered if there was any java code or something to prompt this. Thanks for your help!

Use a content-disposition header

I had the same problem with a CSV file--I needed the browser to save it to the client's disk, not open it as a spreadsheet. The trick is to include this HTTP header:
    Content-disposition: attachment; filename=<yourfile.mpg>;

When Internet Explorer sees this, it presents a file download dialog instead of rendering the content. It works for me with Netscape 7 too, as long as popus are enabled.

See "How To Raise a "File Download" Dialog Box for a Known MIME Type"
    at http://support.microsoft.com/default...0519#appliesto

If you're an IIS/.NET shop, check "How do I prompt a 'Save As' dialog for an accepted MIME type?" at http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2161

If you're writing servlets, look at http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=502939

content disposition

Where do you put this :

Content-disposition: attachment; filename=<yourfile.mpg>;

Is it javascript code ?

Could you give an example ?

Thank's

Code:
    <?php
    if (file_exists($file) ) {  
    	   header('Content-type: application/force-download');
    	   header('Content-Transfer-Encoding: Binary');
    	   header('Content-length: '.filesize($file));
    	   header('Content-disposition: attachment;
    	   filename='.basename($file));
    	   readfile($file);
    	} else {
    	   echo 'No file with this name for download.';
    ?>
    It will display the file download as soon as the page loads.

hi

i actually need to do the exact same thing, except...

i have a button on my jsp.. let call it "Generate"....
    what i would like to do is.. when the user clicks generate,
    a file is generated (the jsp is displaying a spreadsheet in html, and a csv file
    is generated).. once this file is generated.. i want the user to be prompted
    via a pop-up box and is asked where to save this file...

any ideas?

thanks
    tf

File Download Dialog

Hi Folks

I too have a Query relative to this thread

In a JSP page of my site I am showing the .csv file links. When user clicks the link the file download dialog box use to appear to let the user download the file. This was working fine with IE 5.5. But user have shifted their browser version from IE5.5 to IE6.0. And now user do not see the same old download dialog box. The .csv file is getting open in the browser itself. Can anybody help me out? Because the same code was working with IE5.5 but it is not working with IE6.0. What may be the reason behind this?

I used the Below lines in my JSP page for displaying File Dialog

response.setHeader("Content-Disposition","attachment; filename="+fileName+";");
    response.setContentType("application/octet-stream");

Thnkzzz

HI,
    I have a similar problem, I tried your suggestions for "Content-disposition" but didn't change any thing.
    I explain my prblem, I have a link on a jsp page normaly when you click the link you get the dialog box (open/save/cancel)
    with firefox it gives the dialog box but with IE it doesn't give the dialog box all the times just for some files
    ,I have different files (.pdf), (.rtf), (.doc), with (.pdf)(.rtf)no problem but with (.doc) files doesn't work for all
    my link is like this:
    ----------------------------------------
    <%if(row.get("cv_id") == null){%><fmt:message key="club.field.yes_no0" bundle="$msg"/><%}
    else
    {%>
    <a href="<%=request.getContextPath()%>/tmp/<%=row.get("filename")%>?id=<%=row.get("employee_id")%>" class="gray"><fmt:message key="club.field.yes_no1" bundle="$msg"/></a>
    ----------------------------------------
    any ideas please.
    thanks
    Last edited by DevSA; 08-02-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Red face To Display File Download Dialog

In the JSP page put the following two lines of code inside a scriptlet to display a open/save dialog box, which helps the user to choose the location to save the file.

response.setHeader("Content-Disposition","attachment; filename="<FILENAME>";");
    response.setContentType("application/ms-word");

The setContentType() paramater is the MIME extn.

Hope this will help u to display the DownloadDialog in ur application.

Thnkzzzz

Thanks for your reply VIVATHA, but it didn`t change anything, still not working.
    other ideas.
    thanks

Thread Information