dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: html into js var

html into js var

is there a way to extract the html source from a given url? I need to put this into a js vert scroller and can't seem to find any other way to do embed the data.

Javascript only has access to the content of the current web page. It can't read anything from a different page.

Thanks Felgall... Do I have any options? How can I embed html from a given URL into a js var?

Best,
    Craig

There are in fact a couple of methods to avoid the cross-server security issue.
    1. Change your HTM or HTML extension to HTA
    2. load the hyperlink into an image and get the content from the error details
    3. load the hyperlink into a SCRIPT tag and get the content
    4. the most practical choice would be to go server-side
      you would have a PHP program e.g. that will accept a parameter for the hyperlink and the PHP file will return the source of the website but with quotes around it preceeded by daSource= so you can just load it as an external JavaScript file so JavaScript only needs to access the variable daSource
    Last edited by Ultimater; 09-12-2005 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks Ultimater,

You have given me some hope here. I haven't done any of my server side stuff yet. I need to do hit counters and form to mail CGI's, I'm not sure I have access to PHP and to be honest I've never done any PHP scripting. Can you tell me more about your #3 load the hyperlink into a SCRIPT tag and get the content, option you gave. This might be my simplest solution right now but I'd be open to anything that works right now.

Best,
    Craig

Thread Information