www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: get listed on search engines

Unhappy get listed on search engines

can anyone give me information or point me to the right direction on getting listed on major search engines? here is my site! ... we are a few search engines but not within the first 50 pages. we are doing link exchanges and that isnt doing that much. we get around 400 hits per day which is not alot!

Moderator's note: Stop posting a link to that site. Period. This site will not be a doorway to such objectionable material. You will lose your mebership here if you persist in ignoring my warnings.

First off...don't post a site like that on forums as some may be corrupted by it's content. Children, priests, etc.

Secondly, I finally know the biggest reason for your problem.

FRAMES

yes, frames don't go well with search engines at all.

Your most important page should be your default/home/index page. This is where the search engines look for keywords in the body, or content of the sight. Now...um...your default page is lacking any of that.

I would advertise my company to fix all this for you...but I won't. (it is a forum you know).

Needless to say, it is best to think of a web site as a book.
    default page --book cover, main attraction
    internal linking --site map, keywords(like a table of contents)
    Content --keywords have to be more then a word...the internal linking should detail them with text(so basically the spider is blind[reads brail] sees the cover of the book, looks through the TOC then turns to the page expecting it to have content relative to the link)

Nutshell.
    Done.

yes, thanks

I know I am taking over for a previous webdesigner that my boss fired. See I didnt build the site but I have been maintaining it! Now she wants it listed higher in the search engine. I have been keeping it updated and adding pages and I have signed up with msn "submit it" which is a program that is suppose to get us up higer in the search engine. The keywords and meta tags that I have are good as far as the msn program. But if you think they arent then please advise me further. Hopefully I can get listed even though I am using frames. Other such sites use frames and they are at the top of major search engines. So I figure why cant I? I will add an index page like you said.

I reccommend starting with a copywriter for material/content to support the keywords.

first you may wish to clean up as much unneccessary code as you can ie placing styles in a CSS, scripts in a js or vbs, or xml file..you get the idea.
    The closer the keyword-rich content is to the top the better(code wise atleast) and keep the scripts from parsing into the document by either hiding the script files or running server-side(don't mistake this for #include files...they still parse into the page).

learn about Robots.txt files ...that way you can hide the external scripts too.

that should give you lots to start with for now.

Thread Information