www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How's this for an eBook site, about King Tut?

Cool How's this for an eBook site, about King Tut?

Sun Child, Prince of Egypt, the controversial new novel about King Tut.
    www.reneodeay.com

The story of how the 9-year-old Prince Tutankhaten became King of Egypt. And this Prince is no wimp, no puppet, He's cool.

The site promotes my PDF eBook. Only available online on my website. Some news about the second book in the series: The Scorpion Queen.

I've tried to keep it interesting, easy to use, and accessible.

Got a great webhost, but a old iMac.

So if it is not accessible by any browser, or OS, I need to know.

Thanks all,
    René
    René O'Deay, author, photojournalist, Mac Addict

iMac G3 Mac OS X 10.3.6

www.reneodeay.com

Hi -
    Old school. Definitely looks circa 1994.

Only real layout glitch was that the links didn't quite extend the
    length of the header image. IMHO, the layout's much too long.
    Smaller font sizes, left-side alignment and less line-height
    would help a lot.

Good luck,
    El
    F-fox 2.0 :: US :: el design site :: 768 kbps :: WIN

yes. Old School

Quote Originally Posted by LJK
    Hi -
    Old school. Definitely looks circa 1994.

Only real layout glitch was that the links didn't quite extend the
    length of the header image. IMHO, the layout's much too long.
    Smaller font sizes, left-side alignment and less line-height
    would help a lot.

Good luck,
    El
    Yes, It's old school. And in browsers like IE, and Netscape the links under the banner go to a second line or are shrunk until you can't see them. So I added more nav links.

But this site is going around the world, and some have extremely old computers and old browsers. Very slow dial-ups. I want them to be able to read it too. Not everybody is lucky enough to have computers that are not dinosaurs. Even those who can actually afford them.

I guess I could split up the pages.

On another Review my site forum, someone complained about my flash buttons so I took them all off.
    I had a real hard time getting IE to even read the site, so I changed the DocType, even removed it to get it to work. Then got more complaints. So put back a simple DocType which didn't actually match the code I had generated. Got terrible stuff from the Validator. BUT the pages worked in all the browsers I could try it, test it, on, even Linux.

I know I am not going to satisfy the experts. I'm not trying to. Just interest my readers, most of whom will NOT be computer experts, nerds or web designers.

As far as font sizes. I want it to be easy to read. Not have to squint to read it. And I like a lot of white space. Makes things stand out. Nor do I like pages that take forever to load. Flash movies are the worst for that.

I know I have seen incredible sites, fancy, beautiful, really cool. and take forever to load. Best way to lose a customer.

Not trying to quibble about your ideas, just wanted you to know that some of that was on purpose.

I'm not selling programming, web design, scripts, fancy computer games, I'm selling a novel, an eBook, online, which I understand is d#m hard to do.

I probably will redesign the whole thing in a month or two. but this took ages to get what I thought was right.
    Don't want to use Tables, though I do use a few, so I don't like most of the templates that do use tables. With their left-side alignment, or left-side nav bars.

Sorry. My computer is on the verge of dinosaur, iMac G3, Mac OSX Panther. cranky, devilish workarounds just to get it to work. Slow dial-up. so I can relate to some of the old computers that are probably in use around the world.

I changed maybe too much when a friend complained she couldn't get anything to show. Oh, no, it was perfect. Perfect code, Validated. Everything. so that was when I started jimmying it around. Maybe too much. Maybe I should have just made new pages for each d#m browser. But I couldn't get the code to work to redirect them. It redirected ALL the browsers to the really dinosaur webpage, not just the "antique" ones.

But thank you for your ideas. Will see if I can work on the navigation links.
    Thank you, Miss K.

René
    René O'Deay, author, photojournalist, Mac Addict

iMac G3 Mac OS X 10.3.6

www.reneodeay.com

The font is interesting but I wouldn't use it on all written text. Just for headings etc. The um design is very old school... frontpage style... The whole site's layout needs to be re-done. You need to structure things better, align problems everywhere.

The site is good, soild, content rich. You just need to work on layout / structure / aligning and definitely the font for main text needs to be airal, verdana, something classic, I bet even Times New Roman would look great to match the site style more. People tend to run away from Times New Roman although if used correctly it can really shine.

Good work!
    Feel the fear, Summon the courage

Learn to build a CMS

Thread Information