dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: windows me help

Exclamation windows me help

hello there,

i'm having big&serious problem with my OS which is windows me.
    i've been having it for months now... but it's just that i was hoping that it would be resolved without reinstalling windows me, or worst, reformatting my hard disk and lost everything.

now, i really hope that i'm still able to recover all things back to normal because i'm having difficulties to work with my pc.

i can't even load the windows me help file which is associated along with the software.
    it displays error message indicating that windows cannot find helpctr.exe everytime i tried to run it.
    i've tried to look for it within c:\windows\ folder.
    i did find it, but then when i tried to load it, it said that some [.dll] files were missing.

i have no idea to where should i find those files.
    i just can't ask the windows me help - because i was searching for that program...

and worst, i can't run all windows me application - word, excel, access, powerpoint, frontpage...
    and then when i went on to find for installed windows programs within the windows setup which can be found in the "add or remove programs" within the control panel, it can't find anything and displays that bad white pop-up window and then i got "rundll" error...

really, i have no idea of what've happened or what've i done so it became that terrible...!

okay, to be honest, here is the full story...
    when the first time i heard about other web browsers than IE - that's when i get to know about opera&firefox, i became interested to those browsers (don't ask me why).
    but, the problem was, my hard disk only got about 6GB capasity...
    so, you should be able to guess what will happen then when i install lots of big (MB) files on my pc.

as a result of that, i tried to UNINSTALL SOME OF THE WINDOWS ME PROGRAMS...
    and i didn't know what crazy was there within me when i decided to UNINSTALL IE!

if you're guessing that i didn't, no..., i did it.
    and guess what?...

soon after i've finished uninstalling it, everything went "not-so-okay"...
    i ran this, i got this error, i ran that, i got another error...

then, only after that, i realised that IE IS REQUIRED in windows me and previous windows OS...
    so, what did i do?...
    can you guess?

i UNINSTALLED WINDOWS ME (by myself) then RE-INSTALL it again - from the copy of the [.exe] program within my pc.

and then, after that all things really went wrong - starting from word, excel, powerpoint, frontpage, access...
    i was unable to run those programs, like i mentioned before.

all the other programs - which i wasn't sure where they came from and why weren't they went wrong as with the above applications - were working good and just fine.

i've noticed one subfolder from the c:\windows\system\option\ has gone - that's the INSTALL subfolder.
    i thought it was probably that cause.
    how i really wish if i could turn back to the moment when i was still thinking whether i should UNINSTALL IE or not...
    because i've seen that folder before - it's just that i was too dump to make a backup of that subfolder.

i'm not sure if i'm actually giving you a story to read or asking for your help here...
    but, i guess both.

do you think i can still recover my windows me applications to get to work as usual?
    how?...
    i wish not to hear you say "re-install" or "re-format"...

but, if i really have to, then what can i say...

by the way, i can still open all of that windows office applications - the problem is soon after it finishes loading, a warning message pop ups and says "This program must be installed before you run it. Please run Setup from where you originally installed it."... or something like that (i would copy the message if i can).

it something like the program is still there somewhere within my pc, but it just can't run.

any suggestions?

=== thanks for reading and sorry for the long long message ===

You should have initially done a system restore, but I fear it's too late now.
    Try repairing IE although I doubt it will help.
    Check out Windows ME support

Red face ...?

Quote Originally Posted by Fang
    You should have initially done a system restore, but I fear it's too late now.
    i guess i am
    too bad for me.

however, thanks for your suggestions.
    i'll go and see if it will be able to help me.

any other suggestions are most welcome.
    Last edited by clay; 09-26-2005 at 10:12 AM. Reason: grammar error :)

Thread Information