dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Robotics

Lightbulb Robotics

Hey, I dunno if anyone knows anything about this, but I'm trying to find java-compatible components to build and program a robot - I basically just want to find a processor chip which understand java and can use it to control motors, light sensors, etc... anyone know of anything like this?

Anyone knowanything about this...?

Errr... anyone?

They say you have to use jni if you want to use java for robot programming. What is the native language for robot programming? Is it c/c++?

I was reading an article maybe a year ago about how a Mexican group of high school guys built an underwater robot from off the shelf computer parts. Maybe your local computer hardware shop would be a good starting point. Otherwise, some universities have microelectronics units that usually do some kind of robotics among other things. You might want to try your local university as well.

i was thinking of trying hardware stores, yeah. And I also read on web about a java processor used in phones etc., which might be useful if i can get one and find out how to use it lol

no, the choice of programming language doesn't matter much, in my opinion, but first could you tell me what robot you are trying to handle and in what way you want to handle it ?

I'd love to give my lawn mower a map of my lawn and map out a path for it to follow. I could sit on my verandah and just watch it. Just a fantasy, really, but I can't help wondering at the jealous looks on my neighbour's faces.

A few hours later....

I had a look at the link you suggested to the java robotics api section and then went on to have a look at the lego mindstorms robot. Does anyone have any experience of this robot. What are it's movement capabilities? Could it control a steering wheel? If I stuck a motor on the back and adjusted the wheels at the front to be able to steer, do you think the lego robot would have the capability to move the steering wheel? More importantly, though, do you think it has the power to process the images arriving to the processor if it is travelling at 10-15 km/h?

Thread Information