www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Domain Name Surrender?

Domain Name Surrender?

Hi,

I am intending to build a non-commercial information only website for a subject that I find interesting, possible including a forum etc. I want to register a domain called allabout****.org , obviously replacing the **** with the subject I want to talk about. There is already a allabout****.com, but it appears to be just a parked site. I am rather confused and a little worried about trademark issues and the possibility of being sued/forced to hand over my domain. The site I want to construct has nothing to do with the parked advertising site. I understand the issues that arise if there is already an established company with that name, but in this case do I need to be worried? I do not intend to sell anything or make money in any way from this site. Can someone come along after my site has started, register allabout****.co.uk and then ask me to close my site because it now infringes upon their site?
    I am new to domains but it seems like there are a lot of pitfalls?
    I notice for example that there is a greenline.co.uk company in the uk and a greenline.co.nz in New Zealand. Although the companies are unrelated, could there be problems with that arrangement?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by kdum8; 04-04-2006 at 04:29 AM.

A domain name is not a trade name. Wanadoo, the ISP. Own the domain http://easytaxidermy.co.uk as part of a previous advertising campaign but they don't use trade under the name easy taxidermy, or even communicate under it so if I were start http://eveneasiertaxidermy.co.uk then they wouldn't be in a position to stop me.

Incendently, if your heart is set on a .org and your not looking to make a profit then you might want to try an eu.org domain.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

So are you saying that, as long as no one has trademarketed a company called 'allabout****' then I should be ok? Incidentally what would be the advantages of using an eu.org domain over just .org?
    Last edited by kdum8; 04-04-2006 at 05:43 AM.

eu.org over an .org establishes the market in which you are coming from

Quote Originally Posted by kdum8
    So are you saying that, as long as no one has trademarketed a company called 'allabout****' then I should be ok?
    So long as it hasn't been trademarked and no companies are trading under it (eg. selling stuff whilst refering to themselves by that name).
    Quote Originally Posted by kdum8
    Incidentally what would be the advantages of using an eu.org domain over just .org?
    .org domains cost money.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

Thread Information