www.webdeveloper.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BlueHost Vs GoDaddy

I don't have an affiliate account and I recommend Blue Host. I don't think Felgall does it because he has an affiliate link. As he said, "We are fortunate with web hosting that there are so many hosting providers out there so that when we do eventually become dissatisfied with our current provider that there are plenty of others to choose from." Let's not make this personal.

Although I have an affiliate link for BlueHost on my site, I do not promote it above any of the other Hosting providers that I have links to and I have never actually ever made any money from having that link there.

If I weren't happy with BlueHost's hosting I would not have my hosting there, the greatest benefit that BlueHost provide is that they make it extremely easy for those who are not happy with their service to pack up and move elsewhere and will refund the money for whatever period you paid for that you havent used. So if someone purchases BlueHost hosting and then finds it isn't the right hosting for them then they can get their money back, The last hosting provider I was with, I still had 6 months to go that I had paid for when I decided that their service no longer met my needs and they didn't refund anything.

The most vocal people regarding any web host are those who are most dissatisfied with the service that the host provides. The majority of their customers who obviously are satisfied (as why else would they stay on as customers) are mostly silent.

There is no one size fits all web host and you have to hunt around to find the one that best suits you. Those hosting providers that provide a refund if it turns out your site is not suited to their hosting (as BlueHost and some others do) make it easier for you to move on if your site doesn't suit their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeU
    I don't have an affiliate account and I recommend Blue Host. I don't think Felgall does it because he has an affiliate link. As he said, "We are fortunate with web hosting that there are so many hosting providers out there so that when we do eventually become dissatisfied with our current provider that there are plenty of others to choose from." Let's not make this personal.
    Well taken. I am done with my ranting....

Felgall is impartial

Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    No just a satisfied BlueHost user. The couple of times I have had issues with my hosting the BlueHost techs have fixed it for me almost immediately.

I did some work for someone using GoDaddy once and had to patch my Paypal IPN script to get around proxy restrictions that their hosting provided. It took several weeks of testing to identify that the problem was the Godaddy configuration. Fortunately once I identified the problem a member of Paypal staff was able to provide the solution.
    Felgall is a moderator on the bluehost forum. It is dishonest to say you are just a heavy user. I came here trying to honestly decide what service to use. I have no problems with Godaddy now on my blog http://dirtyelection.com and i am considering switching to BH. I want honest opinions not a sales pitch.

It is dishonest for me to claim to be a heavy user of BlueHost because I am not. The sites I run there use a small fraction of 1% of the available resources. That they asked be to be a moderator on their forum is due only to their needing more moderators for the forum and since I was already visiting there trying to help people out (the same as I visit this forum trying to help people out) they asked me if I would assist with that. Beyond that moderator access in the forum my association with BlueHost is no different from that of any of the other 700,000+ users (except that I probably use less of the resources than most of the users). All I ever give is my honest opinion. I never give a sales pitch as I don't believe in them.

OK, I'll give you an honest opinion regarding BlueHost and GoDaddy (I have no financial interest nor am I a moderator there, although I do play one on this forum.).

A few years ago I was looking into GoDaddy and posed a question to their techs (e-mail). I'm still waiting for the response. I posed the same question to BlueHost and they responded quickly, w/in an hour. I went with them for that and several other reasons and have not been sorry. The one or two times I had a problem (just minor) or a question, they were right there and fixed it, or helped me out. I have used a few other hosting companies also but have found, at least for me, BlueHost has very dependable service and well-qualified techs. Even the salesperson knew the technical side of things and didn't just read from a flip chart.

But then there are others who swear by GoDaddy, so it's just my opinion.

BlueHost

Sorry to attack felgall.

I have found Godaddy people to be pretty helpful but then again I am not the biggest techie.

Question, if I moved hosting would I have to leave my site down for a day? That is what Blue host told me.

Nope. You would keep your present site. Then get the new host, upload your site and make sure it's working. Once that is done, then change the domain host IPs at the place that has your domain. It should take 24-72 hours for the new site location to kick in.

What I do is place some type of a comment on the new page. Then, once I know that the new site is the one being used (by making sure the home page has that comment on it), then I just delete the old one.

I have step by step instructions on how to move a site from one web host to any other web host with no down time at all at http://www.felgall.com/hosts.htm

The only things that would be affected during the move are email accounts and interactive features such as forums. Basically you have the hosting active at both places during the several days that it takes while the domain name updates from pointing to the old host to pointing to the new on the thousands of domain name servers around the world.

By using appropriate entries in the hosts file on your computer you can check the stats on both hosting accounts so as to monitor how things progress during the transfer so as to know when you can turn off the old hosting.

When I last transferred my hosting I made the mistake of also transferring the domain registration at the same time and I ended up with one of the nameservers on the new hosting redirecting back to the old hosting so that several weeks later 10% of my visitors were still ending up at the old hosting. The Domain Name Services at DNSstuff.com allowed me to work out what was happening so that I could ask the support staff at the new hosting to fix it for me.

Ugh, Bluehost. I've been attempting to backup my databases (so I can just copy over my CMS installs, hopefully), I can't handle them anymore. I read the review on octonline.org and they gave the Hostmonster.com/Bluehost a 97% uptime average (using basic state and site probe). Apparently this average drops as the response times increase, and Bluehost racks up a 81ms average, while Godaddy only had a 20(something)ms response time, and better uptime.

What I found interesting is that it took approximately 7 hours to transfer 506 MB of data onto my Bluehost account (1.5Mb upload, shared), and only half an hour on my Alterhosting account (same line). Also, only with Bluehost does filezilla spit out "Your bandwidth is limited."

Although I've heard some bad things about godaddy too, but at least they have better stats in the review. Go with godaddy IMO.

With the moving situation, it can be quite tedious. PHPMyAdmin helps (export DATA and STRUCTURE), and with Bluehosts transfer times it may take decades to accomplish.

Oh, and thanks for publishing that info felgall, it's pretty interesting.

Different hosting is going to suit different people depending on what their requirements are and what the hosting offers. Different people will also have different experiences with the same web host particularly the larger ones such as BlueHost and GoDaddy where there are hundreds of different servers in use and where your experience will depend in part on which other sites you are sharing a server with.

All I can say is use SiteGround.

I've had great experience with godaddy. I can also say AVOID startlogic at ALL costs, unless somehow your life, or a loved one's, depends on it.

Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    It all comes down to purchasing the appropriate hosting for your site. Those who are unhappy with what they have got from any of the major hosting providers have simply selected the wrong sort of hosting for what their site needs. In tat situation what distinguishes the different hosting providers is their willingness to refund your money. The better web hosts will give you a refund even though you were the one who made the mistake of choosing the wrong sort of hosting in the first place.
    Just my two cents, Currently Im searching for a Host with a lot of databases, I plan to use it for a full WEB 2.0 service, so, i need fast access to the database... ergo, a lot of processor time. I looked at bluehost because they sell you 100 Mysql and 100 Postgres databases with the package but is like contradictory at least (not to say misleading) that if Bluehost its about Static Pages, why they give us 100 databases? ( and im not talking about using the postgres databases) , I would like to know if bluehost is a good option if i want to use at least 50 of their databases, every one with at least 50 tables, and alot of queries going around ( so the option of cacheing pages will not be good).

I had a bad experience with godaddy like 4 year ago, i was looking for a host and i was an absolute newbie on that, i look at goddady because of google adds, it "hosted" good (my page was static at the time) , but when i wanted to make it dinamic, and ask a few question to their customer support, they just couldn't help me , and it was a simple technical question. their answered me every question i had by email in a day interval, but i dont know how they serivce will be now.

BTW this is an excellent thread , it make me register here

Thread Information