dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Url Question

Url Question

I have previously posted this on the HTML forum, so please forgive me for repeating myself

I have a web home page that has website name and login on the main page. However this web site is registered under two domain names. A and B

So what I would like to do is when end user enters domain name A, they hit the site with that name displayed on the page, when they enter domain name B, they hit the same entry point, but with the page showing the url they entered for domain name B

The site was developed in Frontpage.

Does anyone know if this is possible

ok Let me ask you this... is the difference in names as similar as .com & .biz or is the change more drastic than that?

You could run Frames that would solve the issue quick... it's very similar to how About.com shows offsite content. However the address bar can only show one address at a time.

No,

Imagine a page with the words www.acme.com

When you type in www.acme.com you see on the page welcome to www.acme.com

When you type in www.contoso.com you should see welcome to www.contoso.com, but at the moment all you see is www.acme.com

Two URLs pointing to the same web site. When they hit the main page it is the word in the main page I want to change. The Address bar won't change. It stays with whatever you typed in before.

any help?

I'm not saying it can't be done... However I think your going to need to run to sites with the changes each need to be different.

That's not saying they can't share payment gateways or email addresses but you'll more than likely need one site for each.

I would be interested in how it could be done if anyone else has any ideas.

are you useing a server side scripting language?

This can be done, but the settings would have to change on the web server pointing the IP addresses to the same domain names or have a setting in place to catch all addresses and redirect to a certain domain name. Hmm... thinking about that, you could actually place a redirect in your code so that when a user goes to your site (ie: acme.com) it automatically redirects to the other site (condoso.com). I know how to do this in cold fusion... <cflocation url = http://www.condoso.com> place that at the top of the page. Let me see what the code for a redirect is for HMTL. (might be a javascript)

Ah, found it. It is a META tag. Goto this website for instuction:
    http://www.billstclair.com/html-redirect.html

I imagine you could change the "content" to '0' so it immediately redirects. Please post how this worked out.

Great idea... thanks for the input so far guys.. but

I am not trying to redirect to another site, but to the same one.

So when you enter www.acme.com you go to the the site with "welcome to www.acme.com"

when you enter www.looneytunes.com you go to the SAME site and get welcome to www.looneytunes.com

I know its a weird request, but there has been a branding change, and the main page needs to reflect that branding, but still keeping the content of the site to be the same...

But at this rate I'm gonna start mirroring the sites...or at least try the redirect to the same site

Thread Information