www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Million dolar homepages

Question Million dolar homepages

Everyone know million dollar homepages. They're selling pixels for your advertising. But I do not understand how could so tiny banner (10x10px) increase number of visitors 100 times as they say in their case study. I do not believe, that so many people could click to just that 10x10px area, especially, when there is so huge amount of other banners. Why should so many people choose just that one from hundreds? If that case study is truth, there should be another trick, but how it works?
    .mq.

I have to admit I do not know Million Dollar Homepage... However it's an interesting concept, but ya know it has a PR of 7 so nothing wrong with that end...

However if you have noticed that the math works out like this if you want one of those tiny blocks which is 10x10 pixels thats 100pixels you have to buy and that's going to run you $100.00, but I'm sure you know what that's all about.

So lets look at the case study... Compare when this guy bought his spot and when they started having a massive growth of ads added. So there wasn't the junk and a lot easier to find something worth clicking on.

Speaking of being worth clicking on, come on does anyone really need anything from the links or advertisers listed on that page?

"The case study" if you go to their site what is the sites call to action or hook for getting me to call or email them? The claim the sales but what are they selling they have a 3 page website, perhaps I'm missing something! There more recent stats for Sept & October Show a sharp drop in traffic the end of Oct when the site really took off... So I think the case study is true however unless you buy a big space don't expect a lot.
    Compguy Pete
    The Benevolent Administrator

No child should have to deal with a Brain Stem Tumor...
    http://www.OneAna.com

So simply you say, that "case study" is nothing more, than advertisement based on truth, but full of lies (anyway just as each advertisement)...
    .mq.

well, i've seen some blog entries where people who bought some blocks said that their visitor number increased very rapidly at first, but that it's down to 50% now, and still decreasing

Then my initial question is still unanswered... Why do the visitor number increase so rapidly? I just do not believe, it is because of people clicking on that tiny banner. Has it something to do with search engines or something like that? Or has it some other reason?
    .mq.

Well, the original site is quite visited (as in 50 000 - 90 000 clicks a day) as it is quite famous, so i guess that those are real clicks

Uff, quite visited... Where did you get that numbers? How did they achieve this? There is realy nothing on that page (only huge amount of banners)... What does so many people make to visit their page and click on banners?
    .mq.

because it's famous

i wish i thought of this concept, there are about 100 copy cat sites but only only this one will be sucessful because it is a one off. I heard people saying that this will change the way internet marketing works however i agree with the founder of million dollar homepage when he said he said "this is a unique one off"
    Last edited by jonlg_uk; 11-06-2005 at 06:52 PM.

The answer for the increase of visitors is quite simply: because everyone is surprised with such a odd concept of making money everyone talks about it: even the press and the TV. Due to that everybody who see that on TV visits the milliondollarhomepage.com and wonders why this kid made 200.000+ euros in one month and shocked with a page with just adds clicks on them to see what they are.

As many people visit that page to check why it is so famous evetually someone will visit its sponsors.

Thread Information