www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Not getting "Save As" dialogue in IE

Not getting "Save As" dialogue in IE

Hi,
    I've been having this problem on my site. Basically, i've been running a website where people could download music that i made through a flash interface.
    My Mp3 files have been named to .mpx, so that they would prevent Mediaplayer/Quicktime from automaticalliy playing the mp3 files upon clicking. In the past, when users clicked on the mpx files, it'd pop up the save as dialogue, and allow them to save. However, recently i've realized that it did'nt work anymore in IE. A blank page pops up, and closes almost instantly, with no save as dialogue.
    However, in FireFox it works flawlessly though.
    Would anyone by chance have a clue to how to fix this?
    Many thanks in advance.

Frederick Lin
    http://www.Winterealm.com

You could place each file in a zip file for download.

I don't have the problem you have on your site when I test it with an html link, so I'm thinking it must be a flash issue. I recently downloaded Flash 8 so maybe it handles those links differently than in previous versions.

By the way, your music is absolutely beautiful!!! You are VERY talented! Is your music for sale anywhere?

p.s. May I suggest that you lighten the color of the links in your navigation bar. I found them extremely difficult to read. Otherwise I enjoyed the site a great deal. Keep up the awesome musical work that you do.
    Last edited by kelly23; 11-06-2005 at 04:13 PM.

Hi Kelly,
    Thanks for looking into it for me. I really appreciate it. Thanks for your compliments too.
    I can't zip up the files, because they have to be streamed off the site as well.
    I think it could highly possibly be a IE security update thingie though, coz as i've pointed out, they used to work flawlessly in IE when i designed the site years ago...
    Surprisingly, it is'nt entirely broken, as it still works in FireFox ... So my problem is still pretty much a major bummer.. i'm gonna continue to dig up what i can on IE security updates.

My music is'nt for sale yet. When it does get in stores, it'd probably only be on the shelves of Asian countries though... i'm not sure where you're from. Meanwhile, you can download the songs through my website (when it works) or i could personally send them to you on MSN.

Regards,
    Frederick Lin
    http://www.Winterealm.com

I think it could highly possibly be a IE security update thingie though, coz as i've pointed out, they used to work flawlessly in IE when i designed the site years ago...
    But if you make them text links directly inside an html page, they open up the "save as" dialogue box just fine (IE 6.0.2).

I can't zip up the files, because they have to be streamed off the site as well.
    You can have both versions, the file with the .mp3 extension for "Play", and a zip file for "Download" that contains the file with an .mp3 extension. That way they don't have to change the fiile extension after downloading (they just need to have WinZip or something else to open the zip file.)
    Last edited by kelly23; 11-07-2005 at 08:11 AM.

found the cause, and fixed it.
    details of the bug at http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...073&sid=global

Simply changed the geturl target to _self instead of _blank .

Thread Information