www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreamweaver mx??

Smile Dreamweaver mx??

Just another question ..Im fairly new and have been sussing out different stuff for a website, my dad suggested he would buy me DREAMWEAVER MX so that I can do my site..after looking briefly thru google and finding some links to it..IT loooked complicated as hell....

just wanted to know if someone knows it they think that this program will be too complicated for someone new like myself..or is there enough info in there for a beginner to be able to get by to get onto the good stuff..

thank you wildvit

<suit flame="retardant">
    IMHO any WYSI(not)WYG editor is a waste of money. All you need to make a web page is a Notepad type editor that preferably has syntax highlighting.
    </suit>
    Vladdy

Working web site is not the one that looks the same in a few graphical browsers, but the one that adequately delivers its content to any device accessing it.

This a classic and I'll agree with Vladdy.
    Not only WYSIWYG programs are a waste of money, but often WYSIAYG. Using these programs you will find yourself stuck in the surface of HTML programming and will never fully understand it. Get a good HTML tutorial (plenty around) and you textpad and start!!. Use YAFIYGI tools you'll probably learn lots more.

In the ammount of time it takes to learn Dreamweaver yuo can learn everything that you need to make a much better site without it. And keep in mind that sites made with Dreamweaver, and any other WYSIWYG, are specific to graphical browsers. Those pages are especially troublesome for persons using Braill or audio browsers. And keep in mind that in the United States the American With Disabilities Act applies to the internet.

And you need never spend a dime on software for web development. There are plenty of open spource programs out there.

Yes, I dislike WYSINWYG editors, though tools similar to Dreamweaver do come in handy for large site maintenance.

I wouldn't suggest buying Dreamwaever though. I'd use notepad but in reality if you have plenty of web projects on the go it's advisable to have a Development IDE so you can quickly update multiple pages, an example of a commercial IDE would be XML Spy.

Actually Dreaweaver is very easy to learn, but it has a very cluttered and cumbersome interface and is best left to people who never want to learn HTML and just want drag-and-drop and have lots of money to waste.

If you wanted a reasonable drag and drop tool you could try the: Westciv Layout Master. As Charles says there's a lot of good open-source tools out there its just find the one that suits you.

VLADY -> IMHO any WYSI(not)WYG editor is a waste of money.

Well ... I think that's not completely true I think.
    Yes , I use Dreamweaver. But before I've used Dreamweaver I've coded with notepad (and sometimes I still do ). So I still know the syntax en some tags Dreamweaver doesn't know.

But ...
    When I design a HTML website , my boss would rather let me use Dreamweave because of the time. And in the webdesign world, time is ... money ... So why not make a table with only 2 clicks ( about 3 seconds ) instead typing the whole table.

I normally use Dreamweaver to quickly set up the basic HTML codes and then alter it when needed ...

So waste of money ? IMHO not all WYSIWYG are bad. But still you'll need to learn the basics ( with notepad ).
    God is real , unless declared int.

So why not make a table with only 2 clicks ( about 3 seconds ) instead typing the whole table.
    Because you aren't supposed to be using tables for layout
    Tables should not be used purely as a means to layout document content as this may present problems when rendering to non-visual media. Additionally, when used with graphics, these tables may force users to scroll horizontally to view a table designed on a system with a larger display. To minimize these problems, authors should use style sheets to control layout rather than tables.
    ( http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#h-11.1 )

And styles are way much faster to impliment than tables.

And see http://www.stopdesign.com/wired/docs/ .

First of all, dreamweaver is for JavaScript, not HTML. Second of all, I've never used it but I heard it's better than Adobe's GoLive, which does the same thing. The choice is yours.

Smile thank you

thank you everyone ..much appreciated!!
    Im slowly learning BUT what I would LOVE to quickly learn as well is all these fab abbreviations, I know thats not what they are called but ...

I have already sussed out WYSIWYG & HTML..(lol)
    and thats it so I know there must be a great big book somewhere that will keep me up to date with everything..

any suggestions???

thank you wildvit

Everything that you need to know about web authoring can be found at the World Wide Web Consortium ( http://www.w3.org/ ). They are the people who are in charge of the internet so just start hunting around. I would suggest that you spend some time there every day but two good places to start are the HTML 4.01 Specifiation ( http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/ ) and the Cascading Stle Sheet site ( http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/ ). The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines ( http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/ ) are also extremely important.

And any other acronyms you can't find try http://acronymfinder.com/

"First of all, dreamweaver is for JavaScript, not HTML. Second of all, I've never used it"

Well your second statement shows your ignorance on the first statement. Deamweaver is for HTML.

I would only suggest a person who already has a firm knowledge of HTML to use Dreamweaver. I also wouldn't recommend someone using it unless they make websites for a living. I actually have Deamweaver and it sits and collects dust as I use a $30 text editor that works with various file types and what not. I've tried free text editors and so far I'll still pay the $30 for Edit Plus. If you are making a non-profit website, go to Text Pad and download their text editor. You get a evaluation copy that prompts you to either continue to evaluate the product, or buy it. I would just click on "continue to evaluate." If it's a for profit site than Text Pad cost $27 last time I checked, but personally, I like Edit Plus enough to drop the $3 extra bucks. Edit Plus has a 30-day evaluation period, so you can't abuse the evaluation period thing like you can with Text Pad. I have also worked with pros who use Text Pad to make sites and to code Java so it's a fairly solid product. I'm still sticking with Edit Plus though. :-) So yeah, don't use Notepad. (shivers)

Originally posted by spufi
    "First of all, dreamweaver is for JavaScript, not HTML. Second of all, I've never used it"

Well your second statement shows your ignorance on the first statement. Deamweaver is for HTML.

I would only suggest a person who already has a firm knowledge of HTML to use Dreamweaver. I also wouldn't recommend someone using it unless they make websites for a living. I actually have Deamweaver and it sits and collects dust as I use a $30 text editor that works with various file types and what not. I've tried free text editors and so far I'll still pay the $30 for Edit Plus. If you are making a non-profit website, go to Text Pad and download their text editor. You get a evaluation copy that prompts you to either continue to evaluate the product, or buy it. I would just click on "continue to evaluate." If it's a for profit site than Text Pad cost $27 last time I checked, but personally, I like Edit Plus enough to drop the $3 extra bucks. Edit Plus has a 30-day evaluation period, so you can't abuse the evaluation period thing like you can with Text Pad. I have also worked with pros who use Text Pad to make sites and to code Java so it's a fairly solid product. I'm still sticking with Edit Plus though. :-) So yeah, don't use Notepad. (shivers)

Sorry about that. I read that it makes JavaScript's in a book. I was stupid enough to assume that was it. I guess it does both. Sorry.

Smile THANK YOU ALL!

THANK YOU SO MUCH ..I will be checking these out asap...much appreciated good people

wildvit

A fantastic resource to check out if you're looking to learn HTML the old fashioned (and correct) way - ie using notepad - then get yourself over to HTML goodies . It's got loads of tutorials on all the basics, explains how and why things work, and goes on to teach extended topics too if that's what you want (like java scripts and applets). Well worth a look.

Can I also ask a question? If I wanted a page with a series of images running down the left hand side, and text on the right of each of the images (ie text accompanying the image), how I would do this properly (ie using style sheets). And when you've explained that, explain further how it's easier and quicker than putting it into tables? As a mathematician I've learnt through my degree that some of the biggest breakthroughs come from people doing what they're not supposed to - it's how we realise that things can be applied in different ways. Gallileo announced that not everything revolved around the earth, we went around the sun: if you'd been around at the time you'd have said "that's not what's written in the rule book..." Using tables is fantastic for those of us who might not know everything about the web, but want to do something towards making our sites look nice and well formatted - I'd rather someone used a table wrongly as you would say than go to a site and see a mess of images and text with no discernable layout. Chill out man - the rules are there to be broken, and I hardly think that this business of "tables for layout" is a major one that's going to bring the internet to its knees. The beauty of the internet is that people of all abilities can get out there, have some fun and get on with being productive, without getting bogged down in the rule book of what's right or not.
    John

Thread Information