www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Form Submission Trouble - Activates Outlook Express?

Exclamation Form Submission Trouble - Activates Outlook Express?

I'm using the mailto option for the action attribute of the form, but every time I hit submit, it tells me that the recipient will be able to view my email address and then it activates my default email. I don't get it. I'm just trying to submit the form to an employer's email. Can someone help please?

That's what a mailto: type of link/action does, it attempts to use the default email client on the user's machine. If you want the web host to do the mailing, then you need to use the post method and an action that calls a script on the server side that will accept the form inputs and call the sendmail program on the server.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Arrow How do I make the server side script?

Can you give me an example? This form is for a very small bridal company, and they don't have their own server. Would you suggest I stick with the mailto option?

Depending on the web host you are using and the specific hosting plan that's been purchased, you may have any of a number of server-side scripting options, from ASP to PHP to Perl, and others. You'll need to check with the host provider to find out what your options are. They might even already have a general-purpose mailto script or CGI program you can use, with instructions on how to call it. If not, there are a many open-source scripts out on the web you could download and use. Or, you could just stick with the mailto option.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

I would NEVER recommend sticking to the mailto: option. Good form/mail handlers are available free all over the place.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Hey Ray, could you explain these form/mail handlers in a little more detail? And where I could find them?

If you have CGI and Perl available then this is my favorite.

http://www.bignosebird.com/carchive/bnbform.shtml
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Thread Information