www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: what is the difference between XML and RSS ??

what is the difference between XML and RSS ??

what is the difference between XML and RSS ?? I have XML in my website, do I again need to put RSS ?

XML (eXtensible Markup Language) is a syntax. RSS (really simple syntax) is one application of that. You don't need to use either and perhaps you shouldn't. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Actually RSS is more Really Simple Syndication.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_%28file_format%29
    The RSS formats provide web content or summaries of web content together with links to the full versions of the content, and other meta-data. This information is delivered as an XML file called RSS feed, webfeed, RSS stream, or RSS channel. In addition to facilitating syndication, RSS allows a website's frequent readers to track updates on the site using an aggregator.

Just because some part of your site uses XML doesn't mean that you are required to implement RSS feeds. Whatever you read that made you think that, stop reading it. If you regularly publish to the web, then an RSS feed is just another excellent avenue of content delivery. Just an extra option to offer to users that wish to obtain your content. I can't imagine there would ever be a reason why you should not offer your content in an RSS format.

i dunno, maybe some day RSS feeds will transform in ugly little biting beasts(green ones, they are the worst), but until it's not the case, then you're right..

I want to add rss feed on my website which is news related , I downloaded the software called Magpie, I read the 'read me'. I really don't have expertise on this. Could anyone explain me in layman terms how to install rss feeds ?

Are you experienced with any server side languages?

Thread Information