www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Protect Your Images

A series of tubes known as the "internets"

How To Protect Your Images

The only way to truly protect your images so that no one may save them onto their own computer is to keep them off the internet. No matter what you do, as long as your image appears somewhere online, it is saveable by the user. Right-Click scripts, transparent cover images, and even expensive image encryption scripts can all be avoided. To see how, visit WebDev FAQ's.

The best way to identify an image as your own is to add a watermark in the corner.
    Last edited by rhsunderground; 11-25-2005 at 09:30 PM.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain
    Share on Google+

Not only are all images savable by the user but they are also automatically copied to their computer by their browser before being displayed on a web page.
    Stephen
    Share on Google+

Share on Google+

and that is final. don't ask about it again. lol
    Share on Google+

Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by bokeh
    well the watermarking i was talking about was one that is permanently placed on the image, whereas your system is designed to hinder those that use right-clicking to save their images. not fool-proof by any means, but better than attempting to block access all-together.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by rhsunderground
    well the watermarking i was talking about was one that is permanently placed on the image, whereas your system is designed to hinder those that use right-clicking to save their images. not fool-proof by any means, but better than attempting to block access all-together.
    Really? Was the sentence Pass your mouse pointer over the above, before and after demo image to see what your images could look like after "watermarking" with PHP too difficult to understand? In fact the script either watermarks images on the fly or watermarks them and saves them to file. It does not impede right-clicking in any way.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by bokeh
    Really? Was the sentence Pass your mouse pointer over the above, before and after demo image to see what your images could look like after "watermarking" with PHP too difficult to understand? In fact the script either watermarks images on the fly or watermarks them and saves them to file. It does not impede right-clicking in any way.
    forgive me - i was in a hurry and didn't take the time to read through the text. i thought it was a mouseover script that had 2 similar images.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by rhsunderground
    forgive me - i was in a hurry and didn't take the time to read through the text. i thought it was a mouseover script that had 2 similar images.
    Well, to be fair, you aren't the first person that has found that confusing. Maybe I should make an alteration to make things clearer.
    Share on Google+

Share on Google+

Sorry if I'm wrong, but doesn't wotermarking save the pictures? I mean, for example if you use the standart PHP functions for overlayng 2 images (the watermark, and the image to hide) you'll have pretty good result at no cost. Recently I had to do such thing (for 1st time ) at Bulgarian Dream Properties site. I think that using the watermark for images that were in the case copyrighted was the best solution
    Share on Google+

Unhappy

Sorry if I'm wrong, but doesn't wotermarking save the pictures? I mean, for example if you use the standart PHP functions for overlayng 2 images (the watermark, and the image to hide) you'll have pretty good result at no cost. Recently I had to do such thing (for 1st time ) at Bulgarian Dream Properties site. I think that using the watermark for images that were in the case copyrighted was the best solution
    Share on Google+

Sorry for posting twice - my mistake!
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar_sg
    doesn't wotermarking save the pictures
    It is possible to watermark the image and save it to disk on the server or make the images on the fly each time they are requested. The former method uses less server resourses.
    Share on Google+

There are three sorts of watermarks.

1. A visible watermark in the image file itself (or added on the server before the file is delivered). This is the type of watermark that is referred to when talking about protecting images from being stolen.

2. A digital watermark embedded into the image itself (eg. digimark). These watermarks are not visible but provide proof of ownership of the image if it is stolen.

3. Watermarks added on the client after the image is sent. These are a complete waste of time.
    Stephen
    Share on Google+

Thread Information