dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Animated GIFs in CS3

Animated GIFs in CS3

So when CS3 came out the one feature I was sure they would add would be the ability to open animated GIFs in Photoshop.

In the old version I would open them in Imageready and send the image over to Photoshop no problem.

Now ImageReady has been replaced with Fireworks and Fireworks can still open the files but I haven't found a way to send them to photoshop.

Even if i save it from Fireworks as a PSD it loses the animation and layers.

Anyone know a better way to get the animated GIFs into Photoshop without having to use the older version of ImageReady?

I know how to create an animated GIF in photoshop, I was trying to see if there is way to open an already created animated GIF in photoshop.

After doing some more research I think there is no way. Fireworks is your only bet.

Seems to me like the best CS3 option for opening an animated gif is Flash.
    Go to file open the choose All Files(*.*) from the drop down list since gif isn't one of the available options then select your gif file

Flash will them import all your gif frames as key frames. Then you can edit the stage dimensions to match your gif frames. Do your editing then publish your file as an animated gif.
    Last edited by dell80; 08-07-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Cool um, ya.

file > import > video frames to layers > *.* in the name field > select the gif you need > enter > select frames popup > enter > bam! frames=layers + the animation view pops right up... its simple within cs3.

enter = return 4 u mac kids...

You've been able to open animated gifs in Photoshop since... I think forever. XD

They always come up as a layered image... just make sure you select "save as animation" when saving the image.

Btw dell80, thanks for the idea. (sorry I would have put in one post but there is a timer on this site...) thanks for the help again, ill try to return to this site agian.

Thread Information