www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Protect Your Images

Perhaps the best way is joining the files before sending them to the client. This way you can show thumbnails without watermark, yet the big image has it. This method is not very fast, cause the server will have to do this every time a picture is shown, but you will alway have the original image, and wilil be able easily to change the watermark
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    2. A digital watermark embedded into the image itself (eg. digimark). These watermarks are not visible but provide proof of ownership of the image if it is stolen.
    I would advise against digimark. First it is a paying service. Second it increases the byte count of the image compared to the unwatermarked version and third it wouldn't be too difficult to remove (at least the the point of unreadability); the crudest removal method I can come up with after 5 seconds thought is adding some guassian blur but if I had time to waste on this I'm sure I could come up with something more efficient and with more finesse.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar_sg
    This method is not very fast, cause the server will have to do this every time a picture is shown, but you will alway have the original image, and wilil be able easily to change the watermark
    You don't need to build them every time; you just need to cache them. Before serving the just check the filemtime() of both the watermark file and the original image file and if these are older than the cached version serve from the cache, otherwise build a new image, cache it and send it to the client.
    Share on Google+

well actually there is a way to put your image on the internet and no one would be able to see it at all PERIOD.. it would apear as either a plain white pic or black pic or even just a string of weird character code. but yourself on the other hand, would be able to see it. this is a simple trick some parallel web sites use so that only the people with the 'plugin' so to speak can see the image. the images are jpg or gif but with added encoding that only will show if the viewer has the added encoding in a file on their computer
    Share on Google+

Any properly web optimized images will not be worth taking for use off of the web. The problem is that lots of people upload versions of their images that are hundreds of times as big as they need to be for web use and therefore contain all of the information needed to use them elsewhere.

Optimize your images before you upload them (keeping a copy of the original on your own computer). If you then also add a watermark into the image then the loss of picture quality in removing the watermark will make the image unusable even on the web.
    Stephen
    Share on Google+

Best methods for image protection

PHP image that includes a watermark of the copyright owner as well as the time and requesting IP. Since it's PHP, you can header include a no-cache, require a session-variable to get the actual displayed image, or od other things to "corrupt" the image. The PHP-included GD library let's you get away with a lot that is a bit more difficult for image thieves to circumvent...
    Share on Google+

Security through AJAX?

or.. possibly use AJAX. as far as I can tell, new info loaded via a AJAX call is not
    cached nor visible through either view source or save page.... once you disable right-click the AJAX loaded data basically isn't there for the client-side pc?..

Quote Originally Posted by flashfuner
    add watermark in the center!
    --------------------------------------------
    mywebsite
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by FatherStorm
    or.. possibly use AJAX. as far as I can tell, new info loaded via a AJAX call is not
    cached nor visible through either view source or save page.... once you disable right-click the AJAX loaded data basically isn't there for the client-side pc?..
    *Sigh* The only way anything gets displayed is by being downloaded to the client from the server. Once it's displayed on my browser, it's on my PC, and thus I can copy it. All you can do with all these JavaScript tricks (and Ajax is nothing but a specific use of JavaScript) is stop the ignorant masses. But most of the people who actually stand to make some sort of financial gain from stealing your images will at best just be slowed down by a few seconds.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by bokeh
    ...this method also seems moot because all one would have to do is "prnt scrn" or alt + "prnt scrn" and they've got the image there anyway... :dunno:
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerBall24
    ...this method also seems moot because all one would have to do is "prnt scrn" or alt + "prnt scrn" and they've got the image there anyway... :dunno:
    Yes! With the watermark included of course. Or did the words "before and after demo" confuse you?
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by bokeh
    Yes! With the watermark included of course. Or did the words "before and after demo" confuse you?
    ah yes...I guess i didn't read, sorry.
    Share on Google+

My two cents that can relate to this and anything you want copyright protected is after you create something weather it be a image, a program a website what ever your passion maybe, save it to a disc, cd etc then send it to yourself registered mail. There for there is an offical timestamp on it and your signture when it comes back to you and store it away unopened in a file somewhere. There for if you have an issue where you have to prove its your work, its been dated by the goverment (atleast in the US not sure how mail services work in other countries). Its just one method to help protect your work.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by CStrauss
    There for if you have an issue where you have to prove its your work, its been dated by the goverment (atleast in the US not sure how mail services work in other countries).
    What are you talking about "dated by the government"?

Everytime I see this or a similar question or comments it always seems to be coming from the same location. Maybe it is something to do with the place having such a paranoid culture.
    Share on Google+

He's explaining the simplest form of copyright - post your material to yourself and keep it sealed.

Must admit I've always wondered about this subject. Surely posting images on the web is making them public domain?
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Poxicator
    Must admit I've always wondered about this subject. Surely posting images on the web is making them public domain?
    From the US Copyright Office FAQ:
    Can I copyright my website?
    The original authorship appearing on a website may be protected by copyright. This includes writings, artwork, photographs, and other forms of authorship protected by copyright. Procedures for registering the contents of a website may be found in Circular 66, Copyright Registration for Online Works.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us
    Share on Google+

Thread Information