Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Protect Your Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    <meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no" />
    Cheers! Much appreciated!
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by bokeh
    Crap! If you think your images are so valueable don't allow them to be publicly accessible. Also you need to realise that just because they are publicly accessible they are still your property and subject to copyright.
    No, I mean something else. I'm web developer after all, not designer, and I agree with you.

I'll put it this way - do you prefer to go to the court and prove your ownership, or have better way to protect it? I choose protection, as far as it is possble.
    Share on Google+

Protect it? Ownership is ownership, but that doesn't mean you're going to find a way to make something dowloadable but not stealable, those conditions are mutually exclusive.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.
    Share on Google+

Am I wrong about this?

I always thought if you used, for example, Paint Shop Pro screen capture on a web page, it would give you the image off the screen without any digital watermarking, and ignoring any overlay stuff, because it's just a dump of the screen.

Then you would take the image in PSP and crop it to the picture.

In any case, it would be easy to jumble up any watermarking, and the only safe thing to say is that if an image is on the web, it's stealable.

Whoever said just to render it at the resolution it'll appear on the screen, in jpg with 70% compression so it can't be enlarged or re-used very much is probably on the right track.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by the tree
    Protect it? Ownership is ownership, but that doesn't mean you're going to find a way to make something dowloadable but not stealable, those conditions are mutually exclusive.
    Yes, I know that it is impossible. But if you go to a gallery and see a picture, you don't steal it (I hope ). I give you two examples of something you can see, but can't steal. The question is - is this right? Should it be this way? I know that technikally the idea behind internet doesn't give a solution, but I believe that it should.
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar_sg
    But if you go to a gallery and see a picture, you don't steal it (I hope ).
    If your images are very precious you could have them displayed in Le Louvre in a glass display cabinet. The public would have to view them 3 metres away so they won't be able to notice any of the flaws in the images. As for security it's pretty tight but there are still occasional thefts. The negative point though is people will need to go to Paris to view your images rather than being within the confort of their own home.
    Share on Google+

If your images are very precious you could have them displayed in Le Louvre in a glass display cabinet. The public would have to view them 3 metres away so they won't be able to notice any of the flaws in the images. As for security it's pretty tight but there are still occasional thefts. The negative point though is people will need to go to Paris to view your images rather than being within the confort of their own home.
    OK. OK. Wrong metafore.
    Share on Google+

But still there seems something so wrong about others just stealing.I mean you have to put the pics out there for different reasons but I wish there would be some way for integrity as well, some sort of protection. I guess you cannot have your cake and eat it too when it comes to cyberland. I always have these mixed feelings about the web, on the one hand it makes a person's world so much larger via information. A person can be stuck on a homestead somewhere in China and be able to partake of the beauties of Micronesia, on the other hand to lie and cheat and fraud and you name it has become so common place it doesn't even raise an eyebrow. bummer
    Share on Google+

There are already ways available that provide protection for images that are built into the graphics programs that you use to work on them.

1. Visual watermark.
    2. Digital watermark.
    3. Resolution reduction.

The first discourages theft because the image will then be advertising the fact that it was stolen and where it was stolen from.

The second provides positive proof of ownership and can't be removed by editing the image.

The third dtops the image being able to be used off of the web since the resolution for the web is lower than is needed for use elsewhere and stops the thieves from being able to remove the visual watermark since that would lower the resolution into unusability.
    Stephen
    Share on Google+

The second [...] can't be removed by editing the image.
    That's not true. An invisible watermark such as DigiMark can easily be removed. A crude way would be to add a little guassian blur. There are plenty of other more complex ways that would produce superior results.
    Share on Google+

I guess what I mean is, we only have so long to move about on this planet and it is discouraging that one always has to strive to best some guy out there who seems to live for no other purpose than stealing our time. I was being petty, sorry.
    Share on Google+

That's not true. An invisible watermark such as DigiMark can easily be removed. A crude way would be to add a little guassian blur. There are plenty of other more complex ways that would produce superior results.
    I didn't realise that. Of course if the resolution is as low as possible to start with then any editing of the image would make it unusable anyway.
    Stephen
    Share on Google+

Exclamation watermarking can be undone

Any properly web optimized images will not be worth taking for use off of the web. The problem is that lots of people upload versions of their images that are hundreds of times as big as they need to be for web use and therefore contain all of the information needed to use them elsewhere.

Optimize your images before you upload them (keeping a copy of the original on your own computer). If you then also add a watermark into the image then the loss of picture quality in removing the watermark will make the image unusable even on the web.
    Watermarked images can have their watermarks undone, provided you know the algorithm. Because I know how to compute the resulting colors from alpha channels (I've known the formula for years), I can apply this knowledge and remove pretty much any water mark. With the most opaque at 128 for the alpha or more opaque (128 to 255 for the alpha), this is where water marks are most effective. At 64, as long as the background color behind it has values below 64 and above 191, you should be safe. It's easier than you think to remove watermarks. It takes a few calculations and some good experiment skills to learn the algorithm.

Plus, one could just hit that prtscr button to snag a screenshot. Blocking this doesn't work either as, one could just call up Windows Calculator or some other nonmaximized window and have that as the active window then snag the screenshot. Having a script to make the image visible only when the window displaying it is active would be the best bet, but then again, you have the browser cache to deal with and anyone willing to search it (or has tricks to reduce the number of items to search), there's no way around this either. The best method is to watermark your image.
    function bluewater() {water.color = blue; while(1) {if(fox.pos==inbluewater){fox.health=0;} else{fox.wantstogetwet=true;} wait(1);}
    Share on Google+

It may be easier than people think to remove water marks but it is still at least a million times harder to remove watermarks than it is to bypass any of the other so called image protection because all other methods are nothing but illusions in the mind of the person who applied them and don't actually exist. Ony watermarks provide ANY real protection for images at all since that is the only method that requires any action in order to obtain a copy of the image beyond viewing the web page (which automatically copies the image to your computer for you).
    Stephen
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar_sg
    I give you two examples of something you can see, but can't steal.
    Go on then, show me something I can't steal.
    Quote Originally Posted by ulillillia
    Watermarked images can have their watermarks undone, provided you know the algorithm.
    Not if it's a visual watermark, such as a big black signature.
    Last edited by the tree; 07-15-2006 at 03:16 AM.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.
    Share on Google+

Thread Information