www.webdeveloper.com
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: How To Protect Your Images

So tired of making images and living in constant fear (ok, so not quite) of having them copied... I know just about every way my pictures can be stolen, from right-click copy (remedied with no-right click code), highlight Ctrl+C (remedied with no highlight code-- javascript, I believe), screenshot capture using Alt+PrintScreen, etc, etc, etc...a watermark in the bottom right hand corner can be chopped off, usually without ruining the image, and a big embossed watermark across the page just looks dumb...oh well...I've heard of a no click code as well, but again, the screenshot. Is there any sort of a no-keystroke code? I know some program have ways to screen capture; I've never used them, so I wouldn't know how they work...
    Share on Google+

I really don't think there's a way around screen capture software. From what I can tell, it stores what is (or was) on the screen in memory. It's really cool.......if you're the one using it.
    |) |) . /\. ( .(
    |) |\ / - \. ). )

I though I was intelligent, until I opened my mouth...
    Share on Google+

If the image can be seen on the page or in the code, it can be taken; there is no absolute way to protect an image from being copied. Watermarks will work, but can be photoshoped out with time; javascript can work, but disabling javascript defeats it; disabling the right click, yet the view source is still in the menu; making the image a background and placing an image placeholder of it works, yet the original image location is in the view source; placing the image in a CSS (cascade style sheet) command so only the style sheet command shows, but openeing that style sheet shows the image URL; and then there is the screen capture, etc.

I'm a web developer and I've seen so many ways people and companies try to block image thieft. I can take an image off the web no matter how protective the webmaster is on the images.

Only true way to prevent image thieft is to gouge out the viewers eyes and cut off their hands or just not show an image all together; but I like the first suggestion.
    Share on Google+

Here's a solution

How about this?

1) Make people register to use your site and provide a credit card.

2) Validate the card.

3) Keep all important images in a database, and at the moment they are requested, use php or asp to digitally watermark them with the session GUID, date, and ip address of the client.

4) If you find 1000 copies of your photo on MySpace, you could theoretically read the digital watermark on each one, to not only prove it is yours, but to trace each copy back to the original session during which it was downloaded from your server. Since your terms of service and copyright law prohibits them from uploading the image, or sending it in an e-mail... they're pretty much guilty.

At this point you could go ahead and charge them 5 bucks per copy. Let them take you to court to get their money back.
    Share on Google+

testing all images

i am testing all images thread of graphics
    Share on Google+

hai this is my test replay to you
    Share on Google+

test replay

testing graphics
    Share on Google+

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    graphics only work in the coffee lounge.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain
    Share on Google+

Share on Google+

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    so as not to bog down the forums anywhere else. the lounge is, of course, the only forum that would have a need for images besides the graphics forum, due to its laid-back atmosphere.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by dharveyd
    How about this?

1) Make people register to use your site and provide a credit card.

2) Validate the card.

3) Keep all important images in a database, and at the moment they are requested, use php or asp to digitally watermark them with the session GUID, date, and ip address of the client.

4) If you find 1000 copies of your photo on MySpace, you could theoretically read the digital watermark on each one, to not only prove it is yours, but to trace each copy back to the original session during which it was downloaded from your server. Since your terms of service and copyright law prohibits them from uploading the image, or sending it in an e-mail... they're pretty much guilty.

At this point you could go ahead and charge them 5 bucks per copy. Let them take you to court to get their money back.
    That's a little excessive, and would annoy the customer a lot.
    Share on Google+

I have been to a couple of web pages where the right click is disabled, where would I find the html to add on my pages and where on the page do I add it?
    Can someone help me with this or direct me where to go?
    Thanks for the info that you all have posted.
    ~*Southgirl*~
    Share on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by southgirl
    I have been to a couple of web pages where the right click is disabled, where would I find the html to add on my pages and where on the page do I add it?
    Can someone help me with this or direct me where to go?
    Thanks for the info that you all have posted.
    Read through the above info on how absolutely useless that is and what you should be doing that is effective.
    Stephen
    Share on Google+

Thank you for explaining this image thing to me and you have all helped, thanks again
    ~*Southgirl*~
    Share on Google+

As bad as 'right-click & copy' stealing of images is, -there is another kind of 'theft' of images... benign hotlinking, but bandwidth theft is theft nonetheless!

If you are paying for monthly bandwidth useage and have large numbers of images, -you should be concerned. You may be paying for someone else's enjoyment of YOUR hard work. Someone else may be profiting from your hard work with no credit or renumeration to you.

You do not actually 'take' the image from the host, but instead, a person can 'hotlink' to it from your site! This causes increased bandwidth useage from the original host's ("your") site. Case in point, some 'free hosts' like geocities do not approve of 'hotlinking' to images in their domain from other domains because they are 'paying' for your 'free hosting'. -But they probably do not mind if you are paying for your hosting and your site is being hotlinked abroad... increased bandwidth useage is only good for them, even if it is not authorized by you/your client.

A way to STOP this bandwidth theft is with htaccess. Here is a tutorial from one such site, and it even gives you a place to verify that what you have done is working to prevent your images from being 'hijacked' via hotlinking...

http://altlab.com/htaccess_tutorial.html

Also read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA
    Last edited by WebJoel; 01-10-2007 at 06:19 PM.
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE
    Share on Google+

Thread Information