dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Can robots really gave a realistic accesibility rating.

Can robots really gave a realistic accesibility rating.

Every accessibility validator I have tried seems to list stuff that is in no way related to the site being tested. Is the nonsense these machines print out really worth looking at?

Any examples, or links we can try to see what you're referring to?
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Unfortunately I can't post a direct link because the form uses the post method. The validator is here and the url I was checking is costablancatranslations.com After I ran the check I selected the accessibility tab and found the page is full of warnings that don't seem related to the page. Maybe they are just generic warnings.

The warnings are generic things that the validator can't check, but are required for complicance. You just need to glance through them and see if there's anything that applies.

I'm getting page not found errors when I try to run it on your site, so I can't suggest anything specific

Bobby must die it's a stupid robot at best but some of the robots have very limited use for accessibility testing.

So really you need a human that knows all the rules then?

Bobby is the validator created by the people who control the standards. It therefore checks everything that can be checked by such a program and then prints out a list of all of the rules that such programs can't check so that you can check them yourself manually. This means that you don't need to know all of the rules since Bobby has checked most of them for you and told you which ones you need to check for yourself. That makes it a much better alternative to manually checking all of the rules yourself manually since you only need to manually check the ones that can't be checked for by robots.

Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    This means that you don't need to know all of the rules since Bobby has checked most of them for you and told you which ones you need to check for yourself.
    That makes sense! It's just strange it didn't find any error because I didn't think about accessibility when I made the page.

Bobby is the validator created by the people who control the standards.
    What on earth are you talking about unless you mean it's a commercial company that created a program the checks against "their Proprietary [WebXACT] interpretation" of some of the Guidelines.

The robot is stupid and must never be trusted it gives loads of false positives it can only skim the surface use it with extreme caution.
    Last edited by Robert Wellock; 11-30-2005 at 08:24 AM.

Thread Information