www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Formatting Text in Textarea

Formatting Text in Textarea

Is there a way to format the text inside of a textarea tag. I've tried using a CSS style (eg. class="columntype") inside the tag, but it does no good. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

To my knowledge, no, there is no way. All a textarea can have is characters and whitespace. What excactly do you need the text formatted for? There might be some alternative.
    :-D

Text Area Work around

I'm using a text area box as a work around. I am using it to simulate a scroll box like you would have in Flash, to display scrolling text because of limited space in the design of the web page. I don't want to use Flash in this page because a flash version of the site has also been created. If there is a way of doing scrolling text in html (which I doubt) or even with JavaScript, it would be just what I need.

You can scroll text using Javascript, though it can cause accessibility issues.

Check out the scrollers at Dynamic Drive.

Adam

P.S. If you use a <div> tag as the containment block for your scroller (I expect some scripts do) you can use normal HTML formatting.
    "If youíre not using valid HTML, then you havenít created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isnít a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

Thread Information