www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Tripod sitebuilder refuses to accept editting.

Tripod sitebuilder refuses to accept editting.

I'm NOT a techie. I've worked hard setting up a site using Tripod sitebuilder, then the text on one page got a lot wider and pushed an image off the page; I tried to fix the mess by Cutting and Pasting the text, hoping it would re-format the text but wound up with and even worse mess - the page now has 2 navigation bars and the "edit text" button needed to edit the body, has dissapeared completely. I'd just delete the page except - you guessed it, it's the index.html page. Is it possible to interchange 2 page URL's making a different page the home page? Alternatively I have already published the site to the web prior to making the mess but not since then; is it possible to replace the "working copy" with the published copy (sort of publishing in reverse)? I'll probobly wind up wiping out the entire website and starting over again but how can I do this and still keep the same URL I had before? Or was my big mistake just in using Tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by rhymecon
    Or was my big mistake just in using Tripod?
    I'd say that you answered your own question. If you need something cheap (free, actually) check out Nvu.

Thanks for your reply, jedisb. At least here's a word of advice to anyone thinking of using tripod: Never type a post directly onto tripod; compose it the way you want it in Word (or whatever) and paste it onto your site. (But I won't guarantee this will help.)

Hi -
    If I remember correctly, you can do your pages in any program you like, then upload them to Tripod - skipping the sitebuilder altogether. Just try editing what you think [post again if needed] is causing the problem, then re-uploading that page onto their server.

Good luck,
    El
    F-fox 2.0 :: US :: el design site :: 768 kbps :: WIN

Thanks El. I hadn't planned to create pages over again though I will if I must. If there were just some way to delete my hopelessly fouled-up index.html page and name another page index.html I'd be happy as a warm puppy.

rhymecon.

I received an e-mail on how to salvage the on-line copy but unfortunately I had already deleted it - another dumb thing I had done. So unless it's possible to lable a different page as index.html I'll just have to start from scratch.

Thread Information