www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Screen Reader Stop

Screen Reader Stop

I was listening to a screen-reader reading a page at my site, and realized that it went through the page heading directly into the text without a break of any kind. I could fix that by putting a period after the header, but that would look funny. Is there another way to put a pause in there for the screen-reader that would not show up on the page?

I could put font tags around the period to make it the same color as the background, but the search engines might think that I'm trying to hide something, and penalize me for that.

You could put a span around the period and move it offscreen with absolute positioning.

I'm not sure how intelligent Google's system is.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

Use semantics; Screen Readers and Assistive Devices differ; most just scrape the screen so it would be stupid to place a period after a heading. Remember these software vendors also have obligations they should follow and itís up to them to get their act together.

I dont know what the page looks like but perhaps you could try putting something at the start of the text that would give the reader a pause. Maybe a huge 72ox period that looks like a bullet or something that doubles as decorative as well as functional.

I managed to get the effect that I wanted in "Read Please" by putting a 1x1 null gif with an alt="." after the header. I only have "Read Please" for testing; does anyone else have some other program that could test this idea? Are there any other ideas?

Thread Information