www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Weird IE-only issue

Weird IE-only issue

I'm in the middle of building a PHP/SQL-driven photo gallery, and I've come across a minor problem with the layout I've developed when viewed in Internet Explorer. The page validates as XHTML strict, the problem does not occur in Firefox, and I have not tried any other browsers.

Photo Gallery

Down at the bottom of the page around the form for adding comments, a blue stripe appears across the background, several hundred pixels high. It appears to be related to a div I've classified as "titlebox," since removing this div eliminates the blue stripe in the background. I use the same div several other places on the page and on the rest of my site without a problem. I've made all sorts of attempts to fix it, but to no avail. I would appreciate if you guys could give it a lookover to see if you can pinpoint the error.

I've attempted to highlight the relevant regions in the source with commenting, specifically the div.titlebox definition in the CSS in the head, and the HTML where it is used near the bottom of the source.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
    Notepad: Reliability, Compatibility, and Simplicity. Quite possibly the perfect development environment.

FYI - Your background image doesn't appear in IE, either.
    background-image: URL('images/bg_diagonal.gif');

Could this
    div#bottom{
    position: relative;
    }

be the problem? Seems like some coordinates need to be placed here, especially since you follow it with an absolute positioned element
    div#stats {
    position: absolute;
    top: 5%;
    right: 50px;
    width: 230px;
    border: solid gray 1px;
    background-color: white;
    }

KDLA
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

I didn't bother uploading the background image yet, but thanks for the tip.

I'll try messing around with the positioning when I get off work. If I understand properly, the coordinates default to 0 and aren't required to be specified, but I can never remember all the details on absolute vs. relative positioning and how they nest in each other. I remember I had some trouble getting the two columns to work the way I wanted, then I got busy and this sat on the back burner for a few months. Now I'm thinking I should rework that section as floated divs, but I know I had a reason for not doing that originally. Also, it just seems funny to me that the color should "bleed" through like that.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any opinions on the layout as a whole?
    Notepad: Reliability, Compatibility, and Simplicity. Quite possibly the perfect development environment.

Here's some info.: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html

I agree with you that those should be floated divs instead of positioned elements. Seems "Picture Stats" should be a float, and the other straight content. Might solve the weird blue bar problem, too.

Good Luck -
    KDLA
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Thread Information