dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Embedded style sheets questions

Embedded style sheets questions

If this has been addressed here or in any of the resources linked n this site, please point me. I can't find any reference to it.

Here's the problem:

1. My host does not allow use of templates unless they are the hosts.

2. Users are not allowed changes to the CSS that creates the template and controls the users content.

3. Every template I've tried is non-complient. Most don't even specify a DOC type!!

4. I want more control of my pages and I would like to get W3C validation on at least one of them ... just for the hell of it if nothing else. Call it a matter of pride ... principle maybe. Besieds, the templates make my content look crappy.

Here are my questions:

1. If I embed my own style sheet, do I create another <head> tag to contain my embedded sheet? If so, where do I put it?

2. Do I create another <body> tag to contain my <selector> tags? If so, where do I put it?

3. IF I can even do this, can I reasonably expect my embedded sheet to overrule the crap the template is shovelling out? ... assuming of course I steer clear of the classes, ids, etc. already called out in the template CSS?

Please don't suggest I change hosts. I'm already in the process of finding another. It appears it will take months. In the meantime, I need to stay online.

And please don't suggest I use a "Blank" template. With that option, I have to completely redo/rebuild all my navigation every time I edit/add/drop a page. Not a reasonable solution.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by The Old Sarge; 01-02-2006 at 01:45 PM.

A template is just a combination of HTML and CSS that defines a standard page layout. Somewhere that doesn't allow you to define these things for yourself is not a web hosting service as about all you would be able to do there is display their pages under your name. Why not find yourself a proper web host - there are plenty of "free" ones around if you can't afford to pay for it.

Thanks, Stephen.

I failed to mention that we use a web builder that ties us to the host. The templates thing is a function of the builder, not the host per se. And it's not a question of affordability as much as conversion of our existing sites to a new/better builder and gateway/merchant account. Make no mistake ... we ARE moving, just not any time real soon.

Thread Information