www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Disadvantage to using Application Variables?

Disadvantage to using Application Variables?

I use an MS Access Databases and I've been constantly optimising access to them on various sites I've been working on, in an effort to speed things up and not meet the limitations imposed by using Access Databases.

These basically amount to caching tables into Application Variables, and reloading them every hour (or as appropriate), to cut down on DB Accesses.

My questions are:

1. What are the disadvantages to this?
    2. When would this be detrimental to performance ie how big can my tables be before this isn't a good idea?
    3. How much can I actually store in Application Variables?

Ubik is offline <%= "New Meja Hor" %>
    As far as I know, application variables can store any amount up to the memory limit of the server.

Oh, when you reboot your server, the very first page load takes forever, if you are populating a lot of application variables, this is something to keep in mind also.

I'd be interested to know what you find out...

I have been archiving and 'compact and repair' every 2-3 weeks or so to get the data accessed faster on my intranet site. I have a script that automatically deletes and/or archives (into another db) old data.

Although, I really wish I'd suck it up and just convert over to a real db, but who has the time? I am too busy maintaining my Access db to be bothered with that.
    Last edited by Ubik; 01-05-2006 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typos
    --Ubik

If I have no idea what you are talking about, then I will pretend I know and answer accordingly.

Thinking about starting a New Thread entitled 'Please Help Me!' ? Read this!

Well I guess the only way to find out is to plan it as well as possible and then change it when problems occurr. I've already trimmed down the size of my records in the hope that we shouldn't hit any kind of ceiling.

Thread Information