www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Dreamweaver - FTP connection error

Exclamation Dreamweaver - FTP connection error

hi, this is my first time uploading a site, i have been able to upload one page and now the message appears:

'An FTP error occurred- cannot make connection to host. the server ...is not responding. please check your connection information'

I may just be stupid and made a stupid mistake, please could someone advise me on what ive done wrong! Ive tried re-entering the ftp name but still doesnt work.

Thanks!

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream
    click on passive ftp and then try again

I'm having the same problem!

I've tried with the passive FTP option but this doesn't work either...

???

Techtonyx...

I know your a new member but you should not be dragging up old threads from 6 months ago...

In anycase make sure your settings are correct by emailing your hosting support team. If they are correct let us know here and we'll see how we can help further.

Welcome to the site!

Quote Originally Posted by Compguy Pete
    Techtonyx...

I know your a new member but you should not be dragging up old threads from 6 months ago...

In anycase make sure your settings are correct by emailing your hosting support team. If they are correct let us know here and we'll see how we can help further.

Welcome to the site!
    No problems...sorry I didn't even look at the date! I simply did a search to try and find an answer to my problem and this is all I could find...I didn't think it would be an issue but I'll remember for next time! cheers.

I have been in touch with my hosting company and they said I had the correct settings and told me how to upload via ftp and therefore said because I could reach the host that way I must have a setting wrong in dreamweaver.

I'm using windows XP and also a Norton firewall (which I disabled, as I thought this may have been hindering me).

thanks

Exclamation Any Answer

Hi. I did a search for this as this is the same problem I am having. I sat on the phone with my hosting company (ipowerweb) for 10 minutes and the only thing they could say was that it had to be a firewall because I had everything set up correctly and that they tested the server on their end and it was working fine. I couldn't find out how to turn off the firewall with Norton, so I just temporarily uninstalled it to try to edit my site.

Any sugggestions?!?!

I REALLY need to fix my site as my "buy now" button is broken and I just ran a large marketing campaign yesterday!

I have found I always have to enter the ftp info under manage sites->edit advanced tab->remote info everytime I startup DW8.

Have you tried ftp from the cmd window? A lot of times this will work and then you can see the directory structure you need to input correctly into DW.

My solution

I had the same problem, and I had to use the site's IP address to login:

1. Run -> cmd
    2. ping yourdomain.com
    3. Use the IP in the ftp field when connecting with dreamweaver. (Note: just put the address, not ftp://00.00.00.00)

Worked for me...

Thread Information