www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Learning JSP

Learning JSP

Hi folks
    At the momment im in year 11 at school, taking gcse's. I will be taking computing for a-levels which will be next year. a-levels take two years and in the second year i must create an application. i am thinking of a JSP website. I need to know where to start and what to read because looking on the internet this seems very daunting! Please dont tell me to learn something else, i have got advice from my teacher at school and for me he recomends this!

So anyone know of anywhere to start?

Thanks! Scott

try here:
    http://www.jsptut.com/
    http://www.visualbuilder.com/jsp/tutorial/

just some sites i found off googles. also there are alot of books about this stuff around. so try like a big book store where you are at.
    Welsh

If you want to do JSP right (i.e. as part of a model-view-conroller design pattern) then I'd recommend you check out Sun's J2EE patterns site or do a little reading about Struts.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Based on what that site says, it makes me wonder if servlets aren't faster. I mean if the JSP is 1st converted to a servlet by the Java servlet engine as they say there. I realize they're more of a pain to work with because the HTML must be shoved into system.out.println statements but it's not THAT big a deal if it's faster.

JSPs are actually specialized servlets. They are compiled once and the resulting class file is a servlet. They will only be recompiled when the container notices the JSP source file is newer than the class file. You definitely can see the delay when the JSP is compiled on demand but it is also possible in modern app servers to pre-compile all the JSPs. Then you just get the same class loading delay that servlets have when first invoked. ASP.NET works essentially the same way I'm told.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Thread Information