www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: The colors, question maybe

The colors, question maybe

Just wonder, what's everyone's opinions on black backgrounds? I'm contemplating it, but what are the normal things to keep in mind when deciding on the color?
    Last edited by chazzy; 01-08-2006 at 08:15 PM.

Any color text (including white) on a black background is harder to read than black text on a white background. If you feel you really need to go that direction, I'd suggest more of a charcoal gray than pure black.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Well it's more of a nested design - main background is black then there's the actual content in the middle of the screen, this has a white background w/ borders. It looks a little like this
    Code:
    <body style="background-color:#000000;color:#fffffff;text-align:center">
    <div style="width:750px;background-color:#ffffff;color:#CC0000;border:1px solid #c0c0c0;">
    some content....
    </div>
    </body>
    Kind of picture it better?

Depending on the design a black background can provide focus like a bullseye. The one rule I follow is to experiment with everything I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Reli4nt
    Depending on the design a black background can provide focus like a bullseye. The one rule I follow is to experiment with everything I can think of.
    Yeah, that's one advantage of using a CSS stylesheet: You can experiment with things like this by just changing one value in one file, the look at the results and see if it's better or worse.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Inversed text colour of high contrast is generally used by people with very poor eyesight I few of my blind colleagues generally prefer such design. Though you were referring to a black wallpaper rather than background for the text.

Thread Information