www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Getting file names from a directory

Getting file names from a directory

Hello all,

Is it possible to get the names of a list of files (contained on the server). I have a directory called images and I wish to create a slideshow of all the images in that directory. At the moment I am loading the images from a static array.

How do I go about getting all the image names in a folder and storing them in a dynaic array?

You would need a server side code to do this.

Highly doubt you use .NET but I wrote an example here: http://radio.javaranch.com/pascarell...780941510.html

Eric
    Tech Author [Ajax In Action, JavaScript: Visual Blueprint] | twitter | linkedin | http://www.pascarello.com

Response

Hello A1ien51,
    I am in fact using asp.net and vb.net.
    My understanding of your blog is that you get the contents of a directory using vb.net and you store the results into a xml file.

What i could do is get the contents of the directory when I load the page and store all the image names in an arraylist. Is there anyway to access the contents of a VB variable from javascript?

If not I will append the results to a string and store the string in a hidden textbox. Put in the filenames seperated by *'s and then build my dynamic array in javascript.

I am new to Javascript so how would I go about parsing a string, searching for a particular character and dividing the string?

Any suggestion are welcome.

Thread Information