www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Creating a members only area

Creating a members only area

Not sure even If I am posting this under the correct forum!!

I have a web site that provides general information to anyone who wants to look. What I want to add is a members only area where access is restricted only to specific people.

Does anyone have a real idiots guide to starting something like this off. I'll need it in a step by step guide. Something similar to the HTML primers on the main site.

I don't need people to be able to create a logon themselves I just need to be able to require a password to block entry to part of the site. I can then give the password to those people who need it.

Does any of this make sense??

Thanks

Daiaxis

Yep. It's called Basic Authentication and you do it with the server using .htaccess/.htpasswd files if your host allows.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

I'm also interested in doing something like this but I'd like to be able to have my members make their own passwords when they register. Can someone please do a really easy step by step? please

Quote Originally Posted by widebody2
    I'm also interested in doing something like this but I'd like to be able to have my members make their own passwords when they register. Can someone please do a really easy step by step? please
    If you are going to have multiple passwords/members you are going to need to use databases. A popular combination is PHP/MySQL, so try asking in the PHP Forum

If you are going to have multiple passwords/members you are going to need to use databases.
    You can directly manipulate the password file in Apache hosted sites (if they let you).
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Thread Information