www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Search Engines

Search Engines

Hi,
    Can anyone give me any advice how to improve this meta tag description:-

<META name="description" content="Our practice is most likely the longest established Veterinary Centre in Wigan. The surgery was originally in the 1920’s used by a local GP and in the 1950’s the site was converted into a Veterinary Practice.">

<meta name="Keywords" content="luc, van, luc van, dijck, luc van dijck, vandijck vets, luc van dijck vets, luc van dijck veterinary surgery, veterinary surgery, vet, vets, animal health, Pet, health, animal, Pet care, Cat, Dog, Rabbit, Vet, Practice, animal doctor, animal hospital, local vet, local vets, veterinary services, animal services, factsheets, breeds, luc, van, dijck, Kingston, wigan, lancs, lane, swinley, Preventative Health Care, small animals">

Is there anything wrong with how I've done the keywords, etc?

Cheers

Yes, and no and it also depends upon whether the search engine reads the <meta> it's fair enough saying you have a veterinary centre in Wigan but you've omitted the name of the business, within the description How many surgeries are their in Wigan, more than a dozen I'd assume.

Furthermore I would have rearranged the keywords and probably placed "luc van dijck veterinary surgery" nearer the beginning overall it's a reasonable attempt it just needs to be a little better arranged in order of relevance to the 'individual company'.

It turns out that the very things that make pages inaccessible to persons with certain disabilities also make pages inaccessible to search engines. And the best way to make your page accesible to both is to follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/. And go for level 'Double A'.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Have you looked at the site then? Whats wrong with it?

You don't appear to have given us the URL. Be advised though, I'll be logging off in a few minutes, so I won't be able to do any kind of site review for a while.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”

Yes, but I only want to know how to improve the meta tag part which I gave, I dont want a review on the site.
    Thanks

Originally posted by ashers
    Have you looked at the site then? Whats wrong with it?
    I'm confused. If that's not a request for a site review then what is it?

What I'm saying is that you told me to make my page accesible, how would you know if you cant look at my site? I just need advice on the meta descriptions and keywords I posted.
    Thanks

Originally posted by ashers
    What I'm saying is that you told me to make my page accesible...
    He said it in the context of that it will make the page a lott better indexed on searchengines then anything you can do with metatags...

Yes I know that, but my particular question was for any advice with the meta tags.
    Cheers

Thread Information