www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG, Ness posting her website... lol

OMG, Ness posting her website... lol

HIIIIIIII !!!!!
    Maybe those who know me have been expecting this last year, but... I'm kinda lazy ^^
    Ok, let's get straight to the point.
    I don't want critics like "your site is great, original, wonderful" or anything, even if you do think that way .
    My site sucks.

The website : http://enfantsdelo.free.fr

Why am I posting it, though ? Masochism, maybe ? No, I want brutal feedback from you, the kind of feedback that will send me crying in a cave for a week, the kind of feedback that will change things.

As the website is in French, I might as well explain some stuff to you... It's about my book, Les Enfants de l' (yes, yes, I'm a writer... And yes, I'm the kind of poor writers that eats potatoes and pastas everyday, and had to buy a macintosh because a PC notebook was too expensive... lol. But I'm getting off the point ^^). The book is a family saga, taking place 600 years from now / and at present time too. It involves a bit of science-fiction, and a lot of drama... Those of you who know "Top Model", it's not so different... lol. (no, just kidding... ^^)
    So, a website about a book, what is that for ? Mmmm.. good question. Ok, I don't sell my book, I don't even want to make money with it, I'm not planning a big googleAds campain or paypal or anything. No, I just want readers, and feedback.
    Not for you english speaking people, obviously... But, maybe you can help with the webdesign.

I plan a major revamp of my site. When I say "major", I really mean it. Change all the pages, change the keywords, find a real public target... SEO, domain name (yeah, I know, I should have thought of that long ago ^^.
    But, most of all, I want to change the design.

What kind of feedback do I want ? I would be immensly grateful to you if you could tell me what you don't like on my site, what you would change, what you would keep, maybe.
    I have to warn you, the site is HUGE (maybe 50 pages or so) but you don't really need to go everywhere... lol. And, the little rounds at the bottom are not just here to be here, no. Just click on them !!!!

Coding-wise, I think it's ok, but I'm sure it needs optimization...
    So, go get your baseball bat, and throw hard comments at me, I really need it !!!!

The website : http://enfantsdelo.free.fr

Edit number 5 (at least) : I put the new splash page on the website. Just tell me what you think of it. Good, not good ? Doesn't go with the rest of the site, that's normal because it's a potential new version of the website... I just have to make the layout... ^^

EDIT number 6 :
    Ok, so I made a mockup of a potential design... It's not finished at all, it's just an idea like that... The point of the whole thing is to have different images and color schemes with each section of the website, but of course, the general layout will be the same so that people don't get lost... What do you think of it ???

Ness, crazy girl

EDIT : I always write too much, sorry... But, if you're the lazy kind, just go straight to the site !!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ness_du_Frat; 02-03-2006 at 12:08 PM.

Don't like:

- the look of the font on the entry page: either omit the shadow or lighten it up.
    - absence of color; if you're marketing something (like your book) they say to pick colors that entice people to feel comfortable and trust the site. (The b/w is sort of a clinical look.) A Google search for "color in advertising" will bring up some resources on that.
    - the frames. If you retain the frames, please make the scrollbar a little more obvious - maybe using a color other than the background. On a higher resolution monitor, it's quite far away from the text.
    - that is one funky rollover effect. At first, I thought my browser was acting up. Keep or toss, it's still freaky. (unless IE is displaying it wrong -- the rollover darkens other elements besides the element I'm mousing over.)

NICE: CSS!!!

KDLA
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Quote Originally Posted by KDLA
    Don't like:

- the look of the font on the entry page: either omit the shadow or lighten it up.
    Totally agrees. But this is the entry page I'm getting rid off anyway. Do you like the new one ?
    - absence of color; if you're marketing something (like your book) they say to pick colors that entice people to feel comfortable and trust the site. (The b/w is sort of a clinical look.) A Google search for "color in advertising" will bring up some resources on that.
    Thanks, I'll do just that. Actually, it's only the first page and the default version that are white and black. I have some other colors under the round buttons. Anyway, I'm not retaining black and white...
    - the frames. If you retain the frames, please make the scrollbar a little more obvious - maybe using a color other than the background. On a higher resolution monitor, it's quite far away from the text.
    I'm not using frames on my website, it's all php and css. Anyway, are you using IE to have those pretty colored scrollbars ? lol. Yeah, clear, you're right, in the new site, I'll make the scrollbars more obvious. And the new version, of course, will be resizable... That's one thing the old site lacks.
    - that is one funky rollover effect. At first, I thought my browser was acting up. Keep or toss, it's still freaky. (unless IE is displaying it wrong -- the rollover darkens other elements besides the element I'm mousing over.)
    Mmm... what rollover effect are you talking about ? Apart from the text going a bit darker when you move upon it on the menu, I don't have any rollover effect. I never saw anything strange when I tested for IE. You need to explain a bit more, I don't see at all what you're talking about and why it's freaky.
    NICE: CSS!!!
    Thanks !!! After two years in this forum, you didn't think I would be using tables, do you ? lol.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Can you tell me what you think of my new first page ?
    Index

New entry page: very anime looking. HOT!

Sorry -- I didn't look at the code, and mistook the css for a frame. My fault for exerting minimal effort.

Yes, I'm using the evil IE, which bleached your scrollbar and caused your rollover effect to be really weird. It grays out the "trail" of boxes my cursor goes over to get to a specific link; sometimes two, sometimes three of the links. They stay that way until my cursor is specifically over the text of the link. I tried to get a screenshot, but wasn't successful.

I'm using IE 6.0, Win XP Svc. Pk 2

KDLA
    FYI

Nice layout, cramed together -- like.

Improvements

- You need to validate your site, for best performance. http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...te%2Findex.php

- Check out your speed test results There are 5 warnings out of 11 recommendations. http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

- There are a bunch of links that are just images, and I can't read the language that you have this in, but if there isn't a text link for each of those image links, you should add them. Knowbody wants to guess where the picture goes.

- Logins are normally at the top of a page, yours is within the overflow, so knowbody will know that there is a login. If you want users to login, you might want to move that to the top.

- I had no clue you could change the color layout of the page untill now, you might want to tell your users that they can do this by placing some thing under the dots like "Select Color Scheme" or "Select Layout" something short so it doesn't take away from the site.

- Every time i change a color scheme, the envelope, and the copyrights image on the top right dissappear, then re-appear the very first time I hover over them.

Looks good. Favorite skin is skin 3 brown/orange and black
    My settings

Browser :: FireFox 1.5
    Resolution :: 1152x864
    Connection :: Cable Modem 2Mbs

Hi, Little Guy !!!!
    OK, so actually, my code is valid. What is not valid (and that's my fault, I must admit it) is that I use Ryan (Pyro) 's XblogLite, which is XHTML, inside of my html doctype, because of the way I call the pages.
    Don't worry, I know, but I can't do anything about it, and I don't really want to change Ryan's code, cause it's his script and not mine. All other pages validate. The mistakes in my index page also come because of my entries, because it doesn't make any difference between my blog "code" entries and my page code... lol

Speed optimization gave my congratulations all over the page on the index. Which page did you try ?

Links that are just images ??? Like, the .: bullets ? yeah... didn't want to add "this is just a bullet for the design" for all my bullets... And, BTW, when you have a spacer, for example, you don't need to write "spacer" all over the page, I guess... Not so visitor friendly.
    If you speak of the other images, I think I have a title for all of them. Except maybe the images I put in my blog entries, because I don't always think of it... BTW, almost all my images are divs, so they get the title attribut and not the "alt".

Speaking about the login so well hidden.. It's my member area, and I don't want lots of people to go there. It's located in "bonus", which is exactly where I want it to be, as it's not free access, but you have to get special persmission from me to log in. BUT, in the new site, there will be a free access login, and this one will be on the main page... I guess you're right, and I'll make it visible. Most certainly in the top right corner.

For the color scheme, you are absolutly right... ^^ I made a post telling users they could change the colors, but I should also have put a clear explanation. On the other side, I want people to be curious and click everywhere... lol. But yeah, I totally agree to the critic.

Yeah, I know the stuff about the envelop and copyright.. Very strange indeed. I never knew why it acted that way... Maybe just because it's a div with a a:hover property. But it's annoying, true.

My favorite is also the orange one, and that's most likely my color scheme for the new website, as it's almost everyone's favorite too !!

Thanks a lot for your deep analysis of my website ! I see you took some time to go through it, and I really appreciate it !!!!

BTW, what do you think of the new indexpage ? http://psychomoa.free.fr/index.php

New entry page: very anime looking. HOT!

Sorry -- I didn't look at the code, and mistook the css for a frame. My fault for exerting minimal effort.

Yes, I'm using the evil IE, which bleached your scrollbar and caused your rollover effect to be really weird. It grays out the "trail" of boxes my cursor goes over to get to a specific link; sometimes two, sometimes three of the links. They stay that way until my cursor is specifically over the text of the link. I tried to get a screenshot, but wasn't successful.

I'm using IE 6.0, Win XP Svc. Pk 2

KDLA
    Hi !!!!
    - I guess I should take this as a compliment !!
    - no harm... all people think it's a frame, and that's the way I wanted it to be... Evil frames... Evil... lol.. php is love.
    - I cannot blame you for using IE. I don't want to start a fight all over the place, but IE is quicker and better than FF in most ways... Try Maxton, it's IE improved 10 times... Or Opera. Opera is jst great. I used to use IE, before something weird happened and it was so slow I could go get myself a coffee between each page change... BUT, IE for mac is the worst thing on earth. Designing cross-browser for IE mac was my worst nitemare.

I did this page for the speed test: http://enfantsdelo.free.fr/xbloglite/index.php

I like your new one alot better, It is more animated -- nice
    My settings

Browser :: FireFox 1.5
    Resolution :: 1152x864
    Connection :: Cable Modem 2Mbs

Quote Originally Posted by The Little Guy
    I did this page for the speed test: http://enfantsdelo.free.fr/xbloglite/index.php

I like your new one alot better, It is more animated -- nice
    Thanks !!!

Actually, the page you loaded (and all derived xbloglite pages) are the only one that's not really valid. My website is working with included headers and footers, which are html strict dtd, and Pyro's script is using XHTML 1.0, hence the little compatibility problems (basically, the <meta /> other tags requiring the new format)
    But I'll try to improve that with my new website !

I think I should stick to my squary (sorry, don't know the english for this pattern with little squares) bar in the general design of the website. What do you think ? (I mean, I should re-use it in the rest of the site)

Hi -
    Thought it was rather dull 'til I discovered the style-switcher:
    a great idea that should be made more prominent for users
    if you decide to keep it - but black backgrounds gotta go!
    [Who has the patience or gamma tolerance to read it?]

The lack of images = a lack of warmth for me. Get the sci-fi
    influences but was wanting some family history, too.
    [Ditto w/ the new concept.]

Am allergic to splash pages & counters, so left w/ a bit of rash...
    sure it'll clear up, tho. ;-)

Have fun w/ the redesign,
    El
    F-fox 2.0 :: US :: el design site :: 768 kbps :: WIN

Thanks for your feedback, LJK !!!!
    I'm redoing the website completly, I don't think I'll keep the style switcher... Black background is also one thing I don't really like, BUT : I've noticed after some years that people always liked black backgroounds better than they did white backgrounds. I'm not talking about people interested in a company or so, but people who want to read science fiction...
    Personnaly, I don't like black backgrounds that much. But personnaly, I don't need any reason to go on my website either, because it's my website, so my opinion doesn't count that much.
    I'm planning to use images on the new website, because it's true, that's a bit cold !
    I love splash pages and counters... lol. No, really, I'm planing some advertising with a bit of suspense, like : I'll put the name of my website, without any explanation, and see if the people come here...
    Lots of people like reading, but most of them think what's on the internet is badly written. Although that's most of the time true, I believe it's not the case with my book. I mean, I've published stuff, so I guess I'm not that bad.
    The splash page helps me keep some suspense, and will, hopefully, trigger the curiousity of future readers !!! lol

Ok, so just a little post to say that the url for the splash page has changed, it's now :
    http://psychomoa.free.fr/indexsplash.php

I'm still awaiting your critics !!! ^^

I'm thinking of doing a blog-like layout, with 5 different colors, a bit like my actual website (except that it will be very different, of course...).
    So, do you all agree that the background should not be black ?

Ness-
    This looks really good. It's perfect for a sci-fi site. Great job
    KDLA
    FYI

Thanks, KDLA, but I really would like people to tell me it's sooooo bad, it's a shame I haven't changed it yet... lol
    I'm not so sure anymore about the splash page... I mean, yes, there will be a splash page, but I'm not so sure it will be this one...
    I think I'm definately going with a lighter color scheme... What do you think ?

I'd use a scheme with the colors used in the girl art. Maybe really blocky; not necessarily symmetrical; the content in a white area, stripes the orangy-color; black background with the grid randomly appearing; headers in the gray-blue.

If this makes you feel any better, your last splash page really sucked.
    FYI

Thread Information